Need advice on new kit

Shipper

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Brake Dudes,

I believe I have it sorted out (new kit on bottom in pic, old parts on top - obviously!). Only question is, no brass disc in old parts and only place I see it going is between the rubber spring stopper and the metal piston (for what reason I don't know other than perhaps more pressure on the downstroke). Spring dimensions are slightly narrower but will still fit and work I believe.

Have I got that right?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 224
Boy Ive not personally dealt with exactly what you are working on. I can tell you from experience Ive had K&L carb rebuild kits and petcock rebuild kits that are simply wrong and dont work. Can you reuse the new rubber but on your old piston and other metal parts? I soak brake parts and other small valuable metal parts in CLR and then finish clean them with a little wire brush.

Thanks MH. But i'd rather use the new if its a workable solution. The new rubber is slightly different from the old although the dimensions are real close.

Just looking to see if anybody else has used such a kit on a 1975 m/c with success.

I was hoping more members would chime in. I would just assemble the new parts the way you believe they should go. Install it and bleed out the air and see how it works. I like to put towels over my gas tank and engine in the case of brake fluid splashing onto them.

Maybe change the title so brake gurus will know and see it. Some threads get like a thousand replies and some get none. Title will help though.

Shipper, from your pic it looks to me like the brass disc is meant to fit between the spring and the seal so it protects the centre of the seal from eventual damage from the spring when the piston is forced to apply the brake. Does the disc fit inside the end seal without distorting the lip ? The spring would never be meant to compress directly against the rubber.
I would put everything in place and measure the distance between the lips of the seals and compare old with new and if they are the same I would try it, then if it bleeds up ok I would run it. If when bleeding I experienced any problems I would dismantle it and rethink.
I haven't used this kit so this is just my opinion, although I have rebuilt many motorcycle braking systems.

Back