Need Fender help / ideas

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So my bike has just passed its inspection but as you can see there are a few items that still need to be cleaned / finished up. There are three areas on the rear of the bike that I don't really care for right now.

1) The space on the sides under the seat.
2) The radius of the rear fender.
3) The height of the rear of the seat (how it looks from the back)

I'm not interested in getting rid of the seat as it is way too comfortable and puts me in a great position for riding and the forward controls.

Questions
1) Has anyone had luck making their own low sweeping fender? HOW? Otherwise how can I find a fender with the correct radius?

2) Any ideas on how to fill the space behind and under the seat? I'm thinking of either filling them with some more metal or possible some sort of cases to hold tools????

Attachments

• 213.jpg
    213.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 401
  • 214.jpg
    214.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 397
  • 215.jpg
    215.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 381
  • 216.jpg
    216.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 410
  • 217.jpg
    217.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 418
I like your idea of the rear fender but I see what you mean. I've contemplated using the front fender from a goldwing for the rear to get that 50's era old stock look.....might be the trick.
How's them virago leading axle forks working for you? Did you use the virago triple tree?Don't care much for the swirly spokes though, nothing personal.

Nj1639 - I'll take look at the gold wing fenders and see how they match up. As far as the forks go, I got the bike this way and found out during the inspection that I had a mismatched setof forks and rims which has been fixes. However For now I just want to get this bike on the road so I'm using most of the parts that came with the basket case. It looks like the tree's ar original Yamaha xs650 so I think the forks just swapped in.

Jchrisk1 - do you think the fender in that photo was originally a flat sheet that the owner is forming with those cuts? Or is he just using the cutsto adjust his radius?

Interesting on the forks- If I'm not mistaken- the leading axle triple trees put the forks more in line with the neck(?)than the xs650's, this way the front wheel being on the forward side of the fork will bring it to the same rake as the 650.....so, IF they're stock xs650 triple trees with a leading axle fork you may be getting a bit more of a rake, or the wheel is farther from the frame. It's something I've been wondering about. It would be great if you could take a profile pic and post it....inquiring minds want to know! Frankenbiken yo!

The whole back end of the bike is just a disaster(too much going on). I wouldn't add to it, but subtract instead.
how about a tracker rear?
3yxP0L9pFhobLqIMTONOIyv4HtUetDuQD9wCgt5Y7zXJVm-QhA.jpg

cafe maybe?
xs650cafe.jpg

or even bratstyle?
photo%2026611.jpg

I don't mind that bratt bike but I'm not interested in trying to turn this one into a tracker. Something different for my next build. For now I just want the low sweeping rear fender.

I've included a bunch of photo's and a measurement of the front end. Maybe you can tell me if this has changed the rake on the bike and whether or not these are original 76 xs650 triple tree's?

Has anyone ever tried to roll their own long fender at home? I don't have a english wheel.

Attachments

• WP_000224.jpg
    WP_000224.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 316
  • WP_000223.jpg
    WP_000223.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 271
  • WP_000222.jpg
    WP_000222.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 272
  • WP_000221.jpg
    WP_000221.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 287
  • WP_000220.jpg
    WP_000220.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 270
  • WP_000218.jpg
    WP_000218.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 279
  • WP_000231.jpg
    WP_000231.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 289
  • WP_000230.jpg
    WP_000230.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 294
  • WP_000229.jpg
    WP_000229.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 271
  • WP_000228.jpg
    WP_000228.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 313
  • WP_000227.jpg
    WP_000227.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 274
  • WP_000226.jpg
    WP_000226.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 264
well, that is NOT a stock XS650 upper tree... so odds are the lower has been swapped as well. Way too much red for my tastes..
As for the rear fender.. it looks like a generic HD fender.. too big and set too far rearward. looks to me like if you could move the whole fender forward and inch or two, you would get a more correct appearing radius. I do kinda dig the air filters.

The bike, as a whole, just has too much going on (IMHO). The molded in battery box area, thick seat and big fender make the machine look very unbalanced, I believe that these bikes should be lean and mean.. remember, its only a 650cc twin, not a 1000+cc turnpike cruiser.

That being said, I believe that if you like the bike's current looks and function, then to Hell with what anyone else thinks (including me)! and enjoy YOUR machine.

This isn’t the final version of the bike and for the time being since cash is short I’m trying to work with what I have on the bike or around the shop. I’m also not convinced that I’ll be keeping all of the red but since its powder coating it’s not that easy to just get rid of it. I’m not expecting everyone to like the bike but know you guys will have some creative ideas on how to fix the rear fender and some of the spaces.

I wasn't trying to be insulting in any way. I hope it wasn't taken that way... (we really do need a "sarcasm" font... lol)
I was just voicing MY opinion.. like I said before, it's YOUR bike, your rules.

I really do think if you can find a way to move the fender forward, you will be much happier with the looks. (maybe you could notch the fender to fit around any tubes/braces/brackets and slide it forward.) I am sure it would take quite a few test-fittings, but it coud be made to work.
As for the Goldwing type fender, maybe a front fender would fit up in the area and give the low-slung look you're after
-

I agree with AceofSpades that you should move the rear fender forward. Then with some inginuity, you could notch and bend it to fit the radius. Then re-cut the radius to smooth it out. Or, you could just move it forward to get it even over the wheel, then just cut the radius to match.

Trust me no offense taken. I ask for some ideas and opinions and I hope to get them. When I get closer to the finished product I might be more concerned of what looks really good or bad. Right now I just need to fix that fender and seat area without throwing the whole thing in the trash.

Is there such a thing as a finished xs650 or is there always something else we want to do?

I'm going to try sliding the fender forward and then maybe add some material to re-cut the radius.

Thanks for the pics there htrdd.....yeah, looks like that triple is probably stock for those virago forks, no extra rake. Looking down from the riders position you can see how these triples keep the tubes almost parrallel? to the neck.....the xs650 triples move the tubes a bit forward from the neck. Now a set of stock triple trees and that forward leading axle would give you a bit of a rake but I've been concerned about the flex that might/could occur from that mod- aside from the change in handling.....and then are the forks 34mm, 35mm or 36mm.....and then again what year is the bike as the early models had 34mm with a shorter neck than the later models running the 35mm's........fun fun fun.
I see...'76

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics there htrdd.....yeah, looks like that triple is probably stock for those virago forks, no extra rake. Looking down from the riders position you can see how these triples keep the tubes almost parrallel? to the neck.....the xs650 triples move the tubes a bit forward from the neck. Now a set of stock triple trees and that forward leading axle would give you a bit of a rake but I've been concerned about the flex that might/could occur from that mod- aside from the change in handling.....and then are the forks 34mm, 35mm or 36mm.....and then again what year is the bike as the early models had 34mm with a shorter neck than the later models running the 35mm's........fun fun fun.
I see...'76

I guess I will know in a couple months.... I have a set of leading axle forks (Honda, I believe) that I am putting in the stock XS650 triples and adding a 21" Akront wheel (that I just won on ePay)... I am going to shorten the tubes and run a fender and brace so we'll see what happens

Thought I'd also share the results of the Dyno test that was run. I'm at 1048 m (3438 ft) elevation and have gone up one on the main and pilot jets. I'm running dual exhaust and a K&N single filter that feeds both carbs. 41.40 peek HP & 39.22 torque.

Attachments

• DynoTest.jpg
    DynoTest.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 275
Back