Need Guidance- to buy or not - Basic High Output Standard Ignition/XSCharge PMA Pack

ohiorides1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Have been pulling back and forth on ordering this for some time now and have been doing research on the forum looking at folks experiences but want to finally reach out for some extra guidance.

I have found lots of suggestions to go with Hugh's PMA (as they stand behind their products / tested true) and the Pamcopete electronic ignition (same reasons as Hugh's) but wonder if the full kit provided by Mikes with both PMA and Ignition is really much different / worse.

I am not trying to be cheap (obviously if i am willing to cough up the dough to buy the kit) but don't want to buy piece by piece needed with Pete's ignition set up.

Anyone running this kit on here? I am ready to pull the trigger just might want a few of you fellas to give me the confidence to do it - or tell me to stay the hell away.

Thanks

i'm here to say that Chinese stators are garbage. I fried another one today, fortunately an easy half mile push from home... so that's two dead ones in approx 1K miles despite running with the round cover removed and vent holes drilled in left case.

i'm here to say that Chinese stators are garbage. I fried another one today, fortunately an easy half mile push from home... so that's two dead ones in approx 1K miles despite running with the round cover removed and vent holes drilled in left case.

Who's PMA was it?

new rotors and stators are commonly available on ebay, DIY job. rotors fine, stators not. parts are likely the same as "commercial" kits. just sayin. they work great until they strand you instantly.

Hi Ohiorides,
it depends on what you are not happy with on the bike "as is"
A PMA vs an alternator replacement is one thing.
Replacing the stock points with a Pamco, Boyer-Bransden or other "no points" ignition is another.
You can do either, neither or both.
You can even swap to the 1980 & later alternator & TCI ignition.
You gotta swap the lot but the parts bolt straight on.

Why should i have to do some research and post alternative options.............because that is what i would have to do to answer which pamco you need.

Either that or if i gave you one answer that could be right or wrong. Another can give you another answer and that could be right or wrong...........or we ask you a multitude of questions to determine what you haven't told us.

How about you tell us what model/year bike you have and whether the engine and bike set up is for that particular model/year.

Expecting people to answer questions when your bike model and mods, (if any), is not readily readable, (look at the bottom of some members posts), then giving the right answer can be a pig in a poke

Yes, I agree with 650Skull. ohiorides1 needs to post all the information he can, such as year of bike, year of engine, does it have the stock alternator now, does the stock alternator charge properly. What ignition does it have now; does that ignition work????

Does he plan to use a battery or a capacitor????

Pete stands behind his product above and beyond.
Hugh stands behind what he sells you too.
Mikes can be a PITA to deal with and if you read the fine print I'll bet you find a short warranty, if any on electrical parts.
If I were making this purchase I'd buy from Hugh and Pete (Pete's site NOT Mikes).

Jeez youse twos. He is asking about a purchase decision not a mechanical problem.
What he has, has no bearing on his post or your answers.
It is pretty simple should he buy the whole schlong from Mikes?
Or piece meal from various dealers. For his future peace of mind and general soul comfort I'd suggest any one but Mikes.

as weekendrider points out, OP is only asking for general buying advice. a PMA is a PMA. there are no in-house custom built setups out there that i'm aware of.

the cheap stators burn up. period. pisses me off because I like simple battery-free minimal fresh wiring. whether there is a stator out there that can tolerate idling for 4 minutes at a light in 85*F weather I don't know. I suggest those who actually run them chime in here.

could be cheap metallurgy in the wire windings and/or that they are not epoxied. don't know. i'm ditching this unreliable PMA concept for total loss with a custom lithium ion battery pack.

Come on wer, don't get you nickers in a twist.

Hugh does stand behind his product..........at times..........he didn't tell people that he had a bad batch of Stators and there were thread and threads on this problem before he owned up and told every one he had a bad batch........ Yes he did replace or advise how to fix.......... After a time

I was eluding to an open question that may have some relation to the differences between models, advising someone to post their Bikes information where others have ready access to it helps you as much as it helps them.

Mikes has had a bad rep for communication and some products in the past....But and there is a but........Their PMA's have not had a bad rap, afaik, and they are doing something about some of their products when they get feedback, and their communication has improved. Communication, not as in the verbal/email tech support, but they have a tech area where they have instructions on any product that requires it...........

Making such blanket statement on all of mikes products is just wrong and kinda vindictive.

I didn't call you vindictive but a statement like that can be interpenetrated as a vindictive statement

Come on wer, don't get you nickers in a twist.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ok I'll admit, it is personal between Mikes and I. Vindictive?? Well I wouldn't burn the business down. . . . or wish they had disease. . . . or even water in their oil.
But for the price of $25 I will talk about their poor customer service / product satisfaction.

Jeez youse twos. He is asking about a purchase decision not a mechanical problem.
What he has, has no bearing on his post or your answers.
It is pretty simple should he buy the whole schlong from Mikes?
Or piece meal from various dealers. For his future peace of mind and general soul comfort I'd suggest any one but Mikes.

"What he has, has no bearing on his post or your answers."

WER...............I can't agree with your viewpoint. If he has an 80 to 83 year engine, there are different choices available for a Pamco ignition. Pete has designed special brass bushings for the advancer shaft. I believe they are only available from Pamcopete's own website.

Also, if he happens to have 80 to 83 TCI with a good ignition coil, he could keep the TCI coil and save money, but if its 70 to 79, then he must buy a new coil.

Its not as simple as you say.

Regardless, I think the second post about burnt up PMA stators
has scared ohiorides1 off, and we may not hear from him for a while.

I am not trying to be cheap (obviously if i am willing to cough up the dough to buy the kit) but don't want to buy piece by piece needed with Pete's ignition set up.

RG you are trying to make this too difficult.
Take the man at facevalue. It appears he knows which bits and pieces he needs.

650Skull and others - my apologies for not being thorough on my initial post. :doh:

I am in the process of rebuilding/customizing a 79SF. Bought the bike from a fella across town - came complete and running but definitely wasn't pretty. I spent some time getting a vision down of what i wanted it to become then went after it.

Tear down and clean up - complete front to back disassemble, removed tabs then blasted parts and fresh black powdercoat
Purchased and mounted tires (haters gonna hate i already know - photos)
Suspension rebuild/update - progressive springs front and back
Seat update - custom build by Wes at Counter Balance Cycles (welded brackets for fitting)
New mufflers - using stock headers but removed stock mufflers. Welding extension so new mufflers that have upsweep fit between passenger pegs and rear axle. Found correct adapter for fitting per thread on here.
Lighting update - new headlamp, tail, still need to purchase signals
Other miscellaneous items i am missing right now but do not play into this thread.

As far as performance items that do play into this thread, I purchased the complete performance carb kit from Mikes and plan to run an 8 cell ballistic battery as i know XSLeo has had some luck with it. Doing some research on antigravity and shorai as other options. With the idea of running a battery of this sort I was hoping to definitely update the charging system as i know the struggles with frying batteries and the reputation of the stock system as is. Planning to run stock starter and ignition update is in the front of my mind as well which brings me here.

What I have gathered so far: stay away from Mikes PMA. Better option is to purchase from Hugh. No knocks on Mikes ignition though... ?

Have attached photos for something to look at. Still much in progress but currently in the electronics consideration phase. I know this is not everyone's style and there are many purest around so if you feel the need to knock it, it might be best to save the breath, that's not what this forum is supposed to be about! :bike:

1979 XS650SF rebuild (in progress)
1974 CB750K4 stock with a few mods
1975 CB200T stock and clean as a whistle
2015 Triumph Scrambler

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_3122.jpg
    IMG_3122.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 357
That's the kind of post we all like to see here. You have provided lots of information, so the lads on the site don't have to guess what you are doing with your bike.

I like what you are doing with the bike. I see a high standard of workmanship:thumbsup:

You said,"struggles with frying batteries and the reputation of the stock system as is".
From that I sense you are saying the stock charging system is crap. I can't agree on that.
The stock alternator works extremely well for me.While the alternator is old, it is a
high quality Japanese component.The only weak areas are the rectifier and the regulator on your 1979. You should do some resistance checks on the alternator rotor and stator, and if in specs, then plan to keep using it. Buy new brushes.
My recommendation is the same as I give to everyone who asks. Buy a nos VR-115 regulator and a new 3 phase rectifier from E-bay:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21485

Following Leo's advice on batteries should be a good way to go.

As for ignition, the Pamco is just a great ignition. I strongly advise you to buy the
E-advancer option when you buy the Pamco. The old stock mechanical advancer, while it worked for many years, is worn out and will cause you grief. The E-advancer gives a nice smooth advance, which makes the engine accelerate much smoother.Its money well spent. It should make no difference where you buy the Pamco, since they are all made by Pamcopete.

Hi Ohiorides1 I run both Hugh's PMA & pamco on my 277 rephrase & have had them on for a few years now. My 10c worth the PMA has worked well apart from the wire's becoming un soldered due to the battery + lead coming loose had them resoldered no drama's but I wish Hugh would go the extra distance & make the keyway the right size so the std key would fit & have a timing mark on the rotor, I bought a over size key & filed it to fit both, Hugh's idea does work but if you have to remove rotor your back to square 1,the PAMCO when its working its great but I have just had my second unit die but I will stick with it because its simple cheap & Pete's a great bloke & stand's by his product hope this helps

I pieced mine together. For the PMA: ebay stator, R1 reg/rec, and Hughs bracket. Pamco ignition with E-advance bought from mikesxs. How do I know if I got a crappy stator? Mine has half of the posts wrapped and epoxied and the other half are bare. Should I wrap and coat the other six posts? What should I use to coat them?

Back