need held identifying wires on TX650

twinrider

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi,

New user here, been reading for a month and decided to ask for help. Just got a pretty beaten up barn find, I believe it is a 1973 TX. Bike needs lots of love and I started to tear it appart a few days ago. Found some major electrical issues...

Kill switch is not working at all, found that wires have been cut off under the tank. Ignition switch is working but is not stopping the engine. It only shuts lights, horn and flashers.

I read the wiring diagram a few times and pointed some issues around the starter relay.
see bottom picture...
1. I have my positive coming from battery wired to the right pole of the relay. The question is, I dont have an electric starter... do I really need that relay?

2 and 3. I found that those two relay wires have been cut off, can someone tell me the function of these? and how should I wire them back?

4. This wire is coming out of the main harness, it has a red plastic cover and a round female connector I believe. Any ideas of what it is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

originalstate.jpg

electrical1.jpg

Last edited:
1) that relay is only used to send current through larger wires direct to the starter. If you don't have an electric starter you can remove this relay as well as the larger diameter wire going to it

2&3) these are the wires that got the signal from the starter button on the handlebars (originally). Since you have no starter there's no need to hook these to anything. They will be gone if you remove the relay.

4) hard to tell from the pic, but if you are able to see or determine what color the insulation is on the wire it would help. The red plastic coating was originally clear but has discolored over the years. I believe this is the yellow wire that originally went from the generator to the saftey cutoff relay. It does not need to be hooked up if the safety cutoff relay is eliminated, but you don't want it shorting to anything either.

It probably wouldn't hurt to go through the entire harness if it has been chopped on. You should be able to find a few "bare essential" wiring diagrams that are a whole lot easier to read than the factory diagram

Back