Need help 81 special won’t rev up

yamamunn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, got an 81 650 that sat for a few years ran when put away. Cleaned and sealed the gas tank, cleaned carbs twice after reading about fuel screw which I removed and recleaned. I did completely take it apart including spring washer and o-ring. Only fired on 1 cylinder ggggary recommended new plug caps this worked,thanks. Bike idles great but won’t throttle up as soon as throttle is turned it starts to blubber.started testing as per Clymers book almost every test failed ohm readings. Reg/rec, rotor,stator how can this be possible? Thought my meter was bad ( harbor freight ) so I bought a good one Fluke pretty much same results. Someone suggested weak magnet in rotor but it will hold an 8/10 MM wrench. Is there a test for the TCI and a way to test the stator coil pick-up?

fire it up get it to blubber, run badly as long as you can, kill it, pull the plugs what do they look smell like?

On Page 181 of the Clymer book I have is the 80 on Ignition System Troubleshooting. First test is for pickup coils.
I have found that the TCI doesn't like low voltage. If your charging system is not working as well as it should the bike will act like yours does.
Fully charge your battery. Under the left side frame cover you will find the plug for the reg/rec. Unplug it. This disables the charging system and lets the ignition get full battery power. Now start the bike and see how it performs. If better then the charging system needs tending to.
You might want to locate the charging system guide on here, I can't do links, sorry.
Up near the top of this page is a black bar. In that bar is the word TECH. Click it. This takes you to the tech section. Scroll down to Electrical. Under electrical look for the charging guide.
Follow the steps.
Leo

also the stator wires can get trapped /pinched under the stator rim and short out when refitting it ... ask me how I know this lol :)

Back