NEED help finding engine ID number to transfer title

B Burdine97

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello guys I am new to the forum. I recently inherited a 1981 xs650 special. I went to transfer the title, and was unable to do so due to me not having the engine number on the title. So i went home to look for the engine number and cannot find it anywhere!! I believe I read online that it is located on the front of the engine near the motor mount but I see absolutely nothing! Here are some pics,
20160617_135419.jpg

20160617_135431.jpg

20160617_135444.jpg

Any ideas as to where it is, or what is it? I just need something to write on the title.
Thanks!

It's on the front of the motor but is blocked from view by that front motor mount. You have to look down inside it .....

SerialNumber2.jpg

I have had many bike that the neck and motor numbers don't match. Does your state require both the motor number and the neck number which is odd. Most states only require the NECK number with a copy of it. This is a 30 yr old bike not a new bike. Some states won't take the 9 digit number only the 17 digit number. So your title may be right and your DMV is reading new rules for newer bikes that both match NECK and MOTOR.
I would make a copy of both but I bet they don't match and that will be there next bitch and that was not the DMV law 30 years ago.

Thanks alot guys for the help! I really appreciate it!
And yeah I thought it is odd they NEED the engine number to transfer the title as well? Oh well give them what they want I guess. Thanks again!

Back