Need help identifying

CBJamie

BIKE ADDICT
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this hub. I got this in a boxlot of XS and a few harley parts. 36 spoke , and I've never seen a brake switch on the brake plate like that.

Attachments

• 20160213_114843.jpg
    20160213_114843.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 20160213_113543.jpg
    20160213_113543.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 20160213_113558.jpg
    20160213_113558.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 20160213_113630.jpg
    20160213_113630.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 203
  • 20160213_113635.jpg
    20160213_113635.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 198
That sure looks like an XS hub.
On the early models they used a switch on the brakes that actuated once the shoes were worn far enough. This lit a light on the dash to tell you to that your shoes are worn.
Not sure just what years, but my 75 had it.
You can remove the wire and connector, you can even grind off the loop where the connector is. You can remove the switch it self but you may not find something to plug it. You might try filling the hole with JB Weld. Just be careful, don't want to get too much and lock the shaft.
Leo

Oh One more thing the arm that the brake rod pulls on is about 180 out. It should point down not up.
Those shoes don't look so good. Pull them off, easy, just fold them in half.
Take the arm off of the shaft. Pull the shaft out. It looks pretty crusty, so you may have to drive it out. Watch for any shims on the shaft, you will need them. Clean the shaft and hole. There is a felt washer in the outer end of the shaft hole. Carefully remove it. Clean it and apply fresh grease. Grease the hole and shaft. Replace everything as it was. The shaft should spin fairly easily.
The greased up felt washers acts as a seal and grease reservoir. It keeps out crud and keeps the shaft lubed.
You might salvage the shoes by sand or bead blasting them. I might just replace them.
While blasting you can do the rest of the hub and brake plate. Then you can polish or paint, powder coat or whatever.
Leo

Yes, that looks like a 650 hub and brake plate. Not sure exactly when the wear indicator was removed. '75 had it, not sure about '76, it was gone by '77. Yamaha must have had a big supply of the brake plate castings with the switch holders because they continued to use them in '77, they just crudely cut the wire tab off and didn't bother drilling & tapping the switch hole .....

77BrakeHub.jpg

By '78, they came out with a new casting minus the switch mounts. It's much cleaner looking .....

78BrakeHub.jpg

Oh One more thing the arm that the brake rod pulls on is about 180 out. It should point down not up.
Those shoes don't look so good. Pull them off, easy, just fold them in half.
Take the arm off of the shaft. Pull the shaft out. It looks pretty crusty, so you may have to drive it out. Watch for any shims on the shaft, you will need them. Clean the shaft and hole. There is a felt washer in the outer end of the shaft hole. Carefully remove it. Clean it and apply fresh grease. Grease the hole and shaft. Replace everything as it was. The shaft should spin fairly easily.
The greased up felt washers acts as a seal and grease reservoir. It keeps out crud and keeps the shaft lubed.
You might salvage the shoes by sand or bead blasting them. I might just replace them.
While blasting you can do the rest of the hub and brake plate. Then you can polish or paint, powder coat or whatever.
Leo
The shoes are toast I will replace, and the shaft is stuck I will dive it out and clean it all up. will also replace the bearings. Thanks for the info.

It looks like you're missing the "guts" from that hub. There are a couple spacers that go inside between the bearings. You can't just run bearings without the spacers. When you tightened the axle, the bearings would get pinched together and bind up.

Yes, those spacers will work. There are 2 needed, the obvious long tube spacer (#7) and the often over-looked (and discarded) #20 which fits into the backside of the left wheel bearing .....

RearWheelBearings.jpg

Back