SIKES

XS650 Member
Reaction score
FIRST OFF HELLO XS650 COMMUNITY! THANKS FOR THE ADD.
BOUGHT MY XS650 ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO. HAD IT RUNNING BUT IT NEEDED SOME LOVE.

MY RIDE: 1977 XS650

I BOUGHT HHB COMPLETE IGNITON AND CHARGING SYSTEM, INSTALLED IT JUST AS THE DIRECTIONS DESCRIBED. MY PROBLEM NOW IS I Cant seem to get the timing right, IM getting really bad KICKBACK. (Nearly broke my ankle)

IM DESPERATELY IN NEED OF ANYONE in the SOCAL/LA AREA that can help a brother out.

ANYONE WITH EXPERIENCE with HHB PMA systems AND WILLING TO MAKE SOME CASH!

MESSAGE ME PLEASE! THANKS!

Hi SIKES and welcome,
so were the bike's stock charging and ignition systems totally shot or perhaps missing that you bought the aftermarket kit
instead of fixing up what you had at far less cost? Or did you drink the PMA koolaid?
No matter, it's a done deal now. Like retiredgent. sez, contact the suppliers. Both HHB and Pamco have excellent customer support reputations.
AND FER FUXSAKE QUIT YELLING, EH?

Sikes, your ignition timing adjustment is going to be no more accurate than the method you use to locate TDC. If you didn't use a piston stop and degree wheel to index the center from equal drops either side of TDC, you might as well set your ignition timing by ear--and no, I don't recommend that. For more details on the procedure, use the Search bar; there's plenty of good stuff on this, just disregard the caveman bullshit.

Have you contacted HHB? As the seller of the product, he should be able to advise you on how to set the timing. As grizld1 said, your timing needs to be set accurately to stop that kick back.

I was asking if you had tried reversing your spark plug wires. Easy mistake to make (experience speaking)

I'm saying that if you have them reversed it can cause really bad kick-back. Try switching them and see if it helps.

This kit has been nothing but a nightmare, yes ive tried to contacting HHB and their replys are always do vague and dont make any sense, or they take 3-4 days to reply.

Took the bike into a local shop, JUSTINS CYCLES in La Habra, these guys are very very familar with XS650s and not even they can figure whats going on with the timing.
$600+ in the hole with HHB and now im abother $150+ with the shop that cant figure out the timing or this kit. (According to Justin Cycles theyve done hundreds of HHB PMAs on XS650s but never this 2 in 1 kit)

The HHB website is heavy on the marketing hyperbole. Telling you how every product has been thoroughly tested, and how they offer the worlds best products and customer service. Part of your problem is that you bought a very new product, so you are in fact the Beta tester. You are at the mercy of the HHB shop.......................they sold it to you, so they should stand behind it and give you all the support you need to get your bike running. I suggest you keep phoning and e-mailing HHB until they provide a solution. Become a thorn in their side.

My opinion of combination 2 in 1 products is not good. Its much better to have a separate alternator and a separate ignition. Its much easier to trouble shoot one item, and cheaper to replace one item if there is a failure.
Its the same for combo rec/reg units. I prefer to have the rectifier and the regulator as separate items.

The stock alternator type (energized rotor), is the same as used on millions of cars and trucks. Its simple and reliable with no wasted energy. My 1978 XS650 is 39 years old and the stock alternator works very well. I use a Pamco with E-advancer, along with my stock alternator.
Just something to think about. A PMA is not a very good design for these bikes.

Back