Need help wiring new ignition coil

eman13261

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey ya'll so I just bought myself a new dual high-output ignition coil along with the basic trigger assembly from mikesxs. The wiring from the trigger to the coil is easy but i'm having difficulty with the coil to the kill switch. I took my 2 stock coils off and I feel like there are a lot of extra wires that I won't be using. I know i'll have to splice the 2 separate red ignition wires to the new coil but there just seems to be a lot of extra ones.

Has anyone gone through this same set up? Even a link to a video or pictures would be much appreciated! :bike:
Never been that good at electrical work

Hi eman,
if you are trying to convert your '75 XS650 to the '80 & newer Hall effect triggered ignition you will also need that system's ignition module and alternator rotor.

Did you buy a Pamco? Verify that and maybe someone can help with the wiring. What I can tell you is those two red wires from the harness that used to power your two individual coils are "Y"d off the same wire in the harness. You needn't connect them together, either one run to the coil will do. If you did get a Pamco, the other red can be used to power it.

Here's a basic, 70 to 79 years, diagram that shows how a Pamco is wired.

As 5twins said, you have 2 wires that used to power the 2 coils.................you can wire one to the coil primary, and the other to the Pamco circuit board.

Attachments

• 70 to 79 with Pamco.jpg
    70 to 79 with Pamco.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 259
I did buy a indeed pamco. I bought the basic high-output ignition kit part #14-0911. I saw that they y off just wasn't sure if I could leave em there or if I had to do something with them. If anyone has any more tips they'd be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Can you happen to tell me how your spark plug wires hooked into your coil? My dual high output coil just died so I ordered a new one from Geoff's XS in Australia part number 17-6903. Mikes XS part number is the same. I want to get new wires at the same time. Blue if possible. Don't know if there is a certain style to ask for or where to find colored ones. I was just going to go to a auto parts store. Thanks for your time mates

Did you buy a Pamco? Verify that and maybe someone can help with the wiring. What I can tell you is those two red wires from the harness that used to power your two individual coils are "Y"d off the same wire in the harness. You needn't connect them together, either one run to the coil will do. If you did get a Pamco, the other red can be used to power it.

Can you happen to tell me how your spark plug wires hooked into your coil? My dual high output coil just died so I ordered a new one from Geoff's XS in Australia part number 17-6903. Mikes XS part number is the same. I want to get new wires at the same time. Blue if possible. Don't know if there is a certain style to ask for or where to find colored ones. I was just going to go to a auto parts store. Thanks for your time mates

Hi Twin,
never mind the colour, be sure the auto store plug wire is the type that has copper wire up the middle, eh?
Some car plug wires have graphite cores and that, just like the stainless cored wire they use in aircraft, may not be optimum for your bike's ignition.

Yes, you want old fashion metal core, non-resistor plug wire. That graphite core stuff Fred mentioned is resistor wire, and you don't want that. In most of our ignition systems, we do use one instance of resistance but that is usually either the spark plug cap or the spark plug itself, not the plug wire.

Personally, I use silicone wire kits made for VW Beetles. They come in different colors, are pretty reasonably priced, and include 5 wires (enough for 2.5 650's, lol) .....

WR31ZYy.jpg

Back