Need Help With Fuel Out Exhaust, Will Not Idle

pa-powerstroke

On The Edge
Reaction score
Finally got around to finishing my project. I'm in the home stretch now but I need help getting it to run so heres what is done and what ive tried.
79 XS650 fresh 700cc top end. Straight pipes, uni filters on vm34 round slides, boyer brandsen ignition, running sparx capacitor no battery.
Wired to run, checked for spark, put gas in for the first time in a couple years. I timed in the ignition, started at 38 degrees and tried up to 40. Will not start without having throttle about half open. As soon as I let off it dies. The left cylinder seems a little rich. Plug is wet when I pulled it but it fires well on that side. The right cylinder does not fire until I'm up at half throttle or better. Then smokes a lot and pushes sooty raw gas out the exhaust, like a lot, enough to wet my hand when in front of exhaust.

So I checked my timing like 10 times and adjusted it all over the place. Decided that's not the problem. Swapped my plug wires to opposite sides and nothing changed so I definitely believe its a carburation issue.
My question is: Where do I go from here? What are baseline setting for vm34s with 700cc and straight pipes? I'm about to go check my fuel screws and see how far in/out they are. What else should I be doing with my carbs? They are both set up the same way so I was surprised to see this much of a difference between cylinders. Would float height affect it this much?

Yes, float height would affect things that much. Click the Tech button, find the link to the VM section of the XS650 Garage USA Carb Guide, and work the steps without taking short cuts. Base line jetting is right there in black and white.

You can also leave the petcock(s) turned off. Fire it up, twiddle with the throttle to keep it running. If it slowly starts to run better, think float heights...

So after checking my valves, timing, floats, ect 10 times each i looked into my carbs and the slide didnt look right. Turns out i had the slides in the wrong carbs so they were backwards. Im an idiot but shes rumming pretty good now. Just need to get her dialed in.

Back