Need help with my VIN#

NikkiCybart

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm super new to this I just bought a beat up Yamaha xs650 was told its a 81
The frame is fine the engine is in good shape only thing is when this person crashed it it scratched the sticker on the frame just enough that I think I'm missing 2 letters or numbers for my VIN the serial number is fine stamped into the frame trying to upload the pictures but I'm having trouble with that. All I see is JYA4N900 4 BA0
Then the rest isn't visible because it's scratched off the serial number is 4N9-009011

Your frame number is part of that printed number on the white sticker. The third, fourth and fifth digits and the last 6 are the frame number. The digits after the BA are the last 6 of the frame number.
The white sticker number should read JYA4N900 4 BA009011 I doubt it was hurt when crashed. The clutch cable and part of the wiring harness rub the frame right there and often rub the sticker enough to make it hard to read.
This number should be on the title too the bike.
The frame number and engine number, just behind the front engine mount just above where the case split matched from the factory. If not, don't worry about it. A lot of PO's swap engines instead of rebuilding one.
You use the frame number with the charts in the bike ID thread to determine the year. If the engine number is different then use the engine number to determine the year. Use the same chart.
Leo

Hi Nicky and welcome,
What Leo said. And in addition to the frame number being typed on the white sticker on the steering head it's also whacked into the metal of the steering head itself with big ol' letter/number stamps.
And if those have been "rubbed off" it weren't by accident.

Back