Need help with wiring 82 xs650

mynameissean

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey i just got a 82 xs650 .. i have no wires on the bike, the only wire that it has is the wires coming from the stator which is a 6 pin. all i want to have on my bike is front/rear tail light, NO starter, and i have no clue what i need to get for it. ive been looking around at alot of stuff and found a couple wiring diagrams that are for xs's that have points. Im pretty sure this one has electric ignition??? i dont no if i have to get a cdi bod or rectifier or regulator. if any one can give me a simple wiring diagram to follow that would be awesome, and what i need to get this bad ass thing running

Anything is better than nothing
thanks

The second diagram down, black and white one, in the link nj1639 posted is what I use and an easy one for the TCI. XS's have a TCI, not a CDI. Two different things. (even though some pro/custom XS companies advertise their CDI wiring harness')
'80-'83 had a TCI stock.
The TCI is a little black box that say's "ignitor unit" or something similar on it. The reg/rec is a little finned piece. Plenty of pictures on here.
I really suggest reading a lot on here (tech section) and using a manual to learn and understand all the different parts, especially electrical, on these bikes before doing anything. Not doing this could cause a lot of smoke and some melting if you're not careful. You can fry a TCI, coils, and other parts pretty quick if you wire it incorrectly.

You can also put on a Pamco ignition kit, you need the kit with the advance rod etc.
Simplest is to start with a Mike's wiring harness or a TC bros chopper harness but if you can figure out diagrams and handle a soldering iron DIY ain't that bad either.

Pamco Electronic Ignition Kit

14-0902.jpg

Electronic Ignition Kit by Pamco, a proven reliable electronic trigger system that replaces the stock XS650 breaker point type or factory Tci ignition and is an easy set & forget system. This kit is for all 1980-84 North American model 650's that originally came with factory Tci ignitions or for any 650 that is in need of all/most ignition system components.

Fits: All 1970-84 XS650's

Kit Includes: Basic trigger assembly ( XS#14-0900 ) Auto Advance Unit, Advance
Rod assembly plus additional 3 pc. 14-0653 locating pin, Cam Shaft internal
bushings(3), Dual output performance Ignition Coil with plug wires (20" ea.) and Two 5K NGK Spark Plug Caps (XS#23-3113).

Provides increased reliability and improved ignition spark
Part #14-0902
$219.00 USD Kit
Add to Cart
Electrical > Pamco Ignitions and Parts > Part # 14-0902

Does your stator look like this?
Leo

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 597
If so you need one of each of these.
Leo

Attachments

• 80 up regrec (640x480).jpg
    80 up regrec (640x480).jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 380
  • FSTCIUNIT.jpg
    FSTCIUNIT.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 396
Then with some wire a few fuses and a few other parts follow this and your bike will be fine.
If you don't want the starter just leave that wiring out.
Leo

Attachments

• xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 19,481
I just picked up a 1980 xs 650 I'm on my way home now tks take all the wiring out of it.. its a total harness with stator n everything.. can I just simplify it ?

I just found out my bike is a 1977 actually.. I have a harness from a 1980 and the stator looks like the one you have a picture of, I have the other pieces u have in the pics

Ok, As I said follow the diagram, you have the parts to follow that diagram.
That will simplify it.
Leo

thanks alot Leo that is actually pretty easy to foloow.. but i got one question, since there is points ignition on my bike right now, and there is a wire coming from the top of the cylinder that i guess is where the points come from. what can i do with that wire,should i just not plug it in and assemble the wiring harness from the 1980 with the electronic ignition with all of its components?
pretty much what do i have to do with the points ignition component to assemble the electronic ignition?

If you have the TCI then just remove the points plate from the engine. Wires and all.
You can remove all the points ignition parts, the advancer and rod. if you want. I might just leave all that there and just pull ther points plate.
In the engine is a good place to store the advancer and the rod. If the TCI craps out and you install the Pamco you will want those advancer parts.
All the TCI parts will plug into the 80 up harness. Just remove the points as described.
On the top of the engine on each side is a round chrome cover. On the left side are the points, on the right the advancer.
Here is a pic of my 75 with the single points set up. The large screw in the upper left and lower right hold the points plate in. Just unscrew these screws and pull the points plste out.
In your engine it will have two sets of points.
Leo

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_65031832.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_65031832.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Back