Need Info installing 76/79 carbs on my stock 1975. Fuel & vacuum line ??'s

Orion61

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have been sitting on my survivor for quite some time but some YAHOO got into the warehouse and opened my petcocks letting what little fuel there was (reserve) into the carbs. Again this was in long term storage that was supposedly secure. 2 years ago after it was sitting in dry dock I filled it with fresh oil, new battery but one side had a dead miss, I tried cleaning the carbs (chem Dipped and carb cleaner through the passages, (by the way, try going to a Flower Shop and ask to buy a few straight strands of their wire they use to tie arrangements)!! The Wife owns a small Flower shop, and she saw me looking for a super thin wire. She said to try this!! Brilliant, it is much thinner than Angel hair pasta yet stiff, but bends pretty easily. . Going on, I had the bike running 2 years ago but could never get it to run smoothly in Idle OR acceleration! I got sick of messing with them and after trying another used pair I found a super clean set that fits 75-78 or 79. There are small vents on the bottom of the bowls; and another set of tubes by the fuel input tubes, where do those go? I have worked on early XS 71-75, but not newer ones. I did clean up a set of 550 Four Honda carbs with Chem dip. At first it didn't help then I thought of heating the chem dip on a small heat plate (not Boiling, but then put the lid on and strapped on a cheap palm sander on the side. You talk about action! it cleaned THEM perfectly 1/2 hr and the Honda started and ran on the 2nd kick! When I lifted the cans lid it looked just like a commercial SONIC Scrubber in action, literally saw the rust, hard muck peeling off the carbs. I am sorry for the stupid question) but appreciate the help.
Larry "Duane" Beach

First step is to find out what carbs you have. Sounds like 76 - 77 items.
Pictures would help us help you.

First step is to find out what carbs you have. Sounds like 76 - 77 items.
Pictures would help us help you.
here you go.
DSCN1084.JPG
DSCN1085.JPG
DSCN1086.JPG
DSCN1087.JPG

I'm not sure what they came off of either. The small barbs on the bottom of the float bowls are over flows. Hook hose from them to some where below engine.
The barbs pointing upward are fuel inlets, Easy to figure where these go, the smooth barbs pointing down are float bowl vents. These can go most anywhere. Should be a few inches at least. This way they can act as a filter sorta.
If the carb bells on the engine side are the right diameter and the same distance center to center they should mount into the stock carb holders.
The bells where the stock air box hooks on may be an issue. The carb bodies may be a different length front to back than stock as well as different diameter..
Now on to jetting. If they came off a similar sized engine they may work ok. I wouldn't count on that.
I assume the jets are what came in them. If not I would put them back in and start tuning from there.
If you installed jets that your year bike calls for then they probably wont work.
The single cable attachment will help with tuning. Well syncing mostly. Easier with a center screw than adjusting two cables to match.
Good Luck.
Leo

The guy that sold them to me guaranteed them to work, I measured everything and length and conference is exact. He did say he had never seen a pair like that either?? It almost looks to be a custom job, both are left hand side carbs, if that will flood the engine? I don't know. Could it be a Dealer custom setup for northern colder weather? I know guys that ride until they are forced off the road in really cold weather. Could it be an experimental prototype setup that got shipped on a bike by mistake? Perhaps an attempt to make the bike start easier off the electric starter having a choke on both carbs. I have never seen a custom rack like that?? One thing else the Idle Air/fuel mixture screw is on the outside of both carbs weird since both are left handed carbs so someone went to the trouble of changing that and putting a factory plug on the left (inside) if the idle circuit tube???
Thanks for the help guys.

No, that's a factory carb set off some other bike, maybe a Suzuki. I know I've seen that linkage set-up before, just can't quite remember. The splined heads on the mix screws would date these in the late '70s, at the beginning of the E.P.A. mandating. There was a plastic limiting cap, now gone, on that splined mix screw head. The external bowl vents and float bowl overflow drain nipple peg them as no newer than late '70s.

No, that's a factory carb set off some other bike, maybe a Suzuki. I know I've seen that linkage set-up before, just can't quite remember. The splined heads on the mix screws would date these in the late '70s, at the beginning of the E.P.A. mandating. There was a plastic limiting cap, now gone, on that splined mix screw head. The external bowl vents and float bowl overflow drain nipple peg them as no newer than late '70s.
5Twins, xs Leo,Lakeview,
I really appreciate all of your help. you guys are the best. Hopefully with all your help I will have this old girl out of her 18 year slumber for this Summer!

I was also thinking Kawi, The KZ750 twins over several years.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Kawasaki-KZ750B-CARB-CARBURETOR-16001-1019/174065858973

View attachment 166746
Check if the throttle linkage/cable will clear your frame.
I had a set of these off a scrapped out KZ one time. Something is bothering me that they wouldn't work on the XS650.
My Bet Gary is that the throttle cable won't reach, it seems it takes a LOT of cable out the end to reach, either that or the spacing is too wide by the looks of it.
Work or not the guy I got them from said he would refund me.
Thanks 3G

Back