Need info on wiring a 1981 xs650 special NEUWWBB!

dannydeadway

XS650 Member
Reaction score
How's it going guys i just recently picked up a 81' xs650 special. I was told the bike needed a new stator but it still fired up while on a trickle charger. When i got the bike back to my shop i hooked my 12v battery to it and what do you know SMOKE. i quickly disconnected the battery, and found the kid had the fuse rigged together other then buys a 25 cent fuse. so i pulled the harness off the bike and tried to salvage what i could. but the wires leading to the rec/reg plug were tosted.

what my questions are, do i have to unground the stator with nylon screws?
And how do i wire in my cdi box to the coils.

i'm new to wiring and really want to get this bike up and going so i can move on with building it. I'm not running the the starter. kick only. If anyone could help with a schematic
or brake down with the cdi box it would be GREATLY!! appreciated!!

dannydeadway, firstly, welcome to the forum, second, let's see if we can't get you riding that 81.

My motto: 'Love everyone, trust no-one' applies in this case, and to nearly every PO there ever was.

So: get yourself a multimeter - an important tool you will be needing. If there was smoke and rigged up fuses, expect chaos in there. Save what you can, check all connections, and earth/ground before you do anything else.

You have an 81, so no nylon screws required.

If the charging system is shot, don't risk a good battery just to get it going. Using your inexpensive multimeter you can test the stator, the rotor, the regulator/rectifier, the CDI, and, of course the battery - and find elusive short-circuits.

Why don't you look on the site for a wiring diagram that is suitable for your needs, and post questions as they arise.

Begin with looking at the videos and threads on how to test the charging system. If you can't find them - ask!

Good luck, and be patient.

Anlaf

There are many simplified wiring diagrams out there- do a google image search for "81 xs650 simplified wiring" also, from Mikes xs and other places you can get a premade "chopper" harness with just what you need. Ebay is also your friend, you can find complete harnesses and used bits for cheap. Good luck, have patience and soon enough you'll be cruising the streets.

Welcome to the board.
First off get a repair manual. Free as downloads at biker.net
It will have the stock wiring diagram.
Now I would start at the headlight. Pull the headlight out of the bucket. Unplug everything in there Most everything only plugs one way. If in doubt use masking tape and number code things. Take two pieces of tape, put a #1 on both. Put one on each side of whatever you unplug.
Work your way back unplugging the things that plug into the harness. Once you have the harness off the bike You lay it out and look it over.
Look for bad spots, melted, burnt.
Decide if you want to keep everything stock or build some simpler. If you want stock, decide if you want to fix what you have or replace.
If simpler cut away the plastic covering off the harness. Now look at what you want on the bike. Going by this say you want the reg/rec Find the plug and seperate these wires, On the things you don't want separate and remove the wires. After a bit you will have a harness that may be just right.
You might have to mod things a bit here and there, replace some damaged wires.
But once you get it trimmed down Try putting it back on the bike and getting it all plugged back in. If you did good it should start and run, even charge.
While everything is off cleaning all the connections should be done.
Testing all the components you want to use for proper function. repairing the things that test bad.
You can do. Many on here have. Just be methodical and through.
Leo

Just to clarify, the XS650 never had a CDI, It has a TCI.
Now to answer your question, the Pamco kits come with everything you need. The TCI box and associated parts get removed.
Leo

so im trying to save some cash on buying the charging system. there are a few to pick from and the prices vary. im running a kick only with a capacitor. i was wondering if i should pick up the hugh's handbuilt from lowbrows and then grab a pamco of mikes xs. or one of the basic packs from mikes xs. just not to sure on which one to choose.

If you want to save some cash try getting your stock charging system working. There is a Charging system trouble shooting guide. Have you followed the steps to see if and what might be wrong with it? It may be something as simple as a bad connection. You will still need a battery but you can run a very small one.
In my opinion the Hugh's Hand Built is the better deal. It cost about $40 more but that $40 buys you a lot of customer support.
Lets say you get one from Mike's and you have trouble with it. Is Mike's gonna help you out?
If the same happens with HHB you will get all the help you need to get it working.
I might get the stock charging system working, then add the Pamco to that, then at a later date add the PMA.
But that's just me.
Leo

:laugh:DANNY DANNY DANNY
I am in South Jersey and have done over 50 wire harnesses.
Want to learn bring the bike down to the shop and we will make it purr. Don't get crazy and buy anything YET!!! you may have what you already need. Helped plenty of guys on here that came to the shop and learned from a run down OLD MAN BIKER HAHA!!!!! Built over 50 of these suckers and I got parts TOO!!!
You buy the PIZZA.....:yikes:
Old stuff works if you know how to make it work right...
I am in the cape may area off of RTE47 going into WILDWOOD!!!
PM me and I will give you my number.
RICH

only reason i was thinking about getting the complete kit is due to the fact that i could have fried the rec and ignition box.

daddycycles i appreciate that alot. im currently away right now. i should be done the hardtail by december. after that i just need to pick away at the charging system, ignition, and grab a few links for the chain and what not. but i might take you up on learning how to wire these bikes!

OK
I have full systems charging/Ignition at shop. So its better to have someone with spares... If you just want to check out motor we can put it in my setup fire it up and check it out......OFFER STANDS
Where are you in south jersey???

Back