need new time chain guide .what else to do?

Square Circle

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So my timing chain guide is most likely gone . Big chunks showing up in oil filter along with metal bits. Lots of engine noise too. (Clattering). If anyone can help with a how to advice or point me in the right direction with a good thread on this , I would greatly appreciate it.
Since the engine will be pulled, etc, what else should I consider changing out or doing while in there. Does anyone have a parts list of stuff to order on this project ;ex: gaskets, tools,parts sources and what not..my compression is OK but not best
.about 130-140..should I do a full rebuild? Valve stuff? Timing chain?thanks for any input you might have. I've never done something like this before.

There are several threads on engine rebuilds. A bit of searching will find them.
The first thing you should get is a repair manual. Once it's in your hands read it.
To tear down an engine just follow the steps.
They list all sorts of things to check and how to check them.
They even have a list of tools.
Basic hand tools will get you started. Sockets, wrenches, Hammers punches, Things like that. A hand impact tool is very handy.
A torque wrench. Maybe two one for small bolts and one for big bolts.
Leo

As you're going to find out, it's quite a bit of work to get into one of these things, what with having to pull the motor and all. It's best you do all that needs doing while in there. At the very least, that would be the front guide, a new chain, and new valve guide seals. With your compression falling off, you probably need rings as well. But it's best to do some careful measuring (or have it done) because you may need to have it bored if the cylinder wear is too much. About the only things you could order up front would be the chain, guide, and gasket set. Anything else will have to wait until you see what's what inside.

Back