Need some help figuring out what's going on with barrels/pistons

vorhese

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing I put about 10,000 miles on my '80 XS over 6 years.
The head gasket blew (probably because I never re-tightened annually).

I pulled my head off and decided to do rings too. The barrels have very prominent honing marks, almost look new.

I measured my barrels on the thrust sides. They both measure out 2.954" (75.0316mm), with very little wear at the bottom (.000" to .002"). They are marked "004".

I measured my pistons, thrust side. They measure 2.945" (74.803mm). They are marked "953" The have light scoring.

That's a clearance of .011" (0.2794mm)
Spec is The piston to cylinder clearance should be .050-.055 mm. .0020 to .0022 of an inch.
The rings are way out of gap spec.

It's pretty clear I need to bore the barrels to next size, correct? But what would have caused such little wear on the barrels? Did the previous owner simply hone the barrels, and then put in oversize rings and file them down? Or did they do something worse and put the original rings back in and just hone?

Last edited:
Yes, I would say it's time to bore it. The barrels are steel so are going to wear less and at a slower rate than the alloy pistons. Yes, the P.O. probably just honed it and threw new rings in. You can get away with that many times the 1st time you go into one of these. 2nd time in usually requires a bore, as you've found.

I didn't fully trust my measurements, so I tried the down and dirty. I can just barely get an .004" feeler between the piston and barrel wall.

Back