need some info on paint

DIRTY DOG

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
ok I painted the tins the other day got some dirt in it. can I wet sand it and clear it??
there painted with Acrylic Enamel is so what clear to use they told me they don't make
Acrylic Enamel clear the brand is nason Ful-Cryl II 2K Acrylic Enamel Topcoat
I know I can wet sand and buff just get a better shine not buffing buffing just makes it look milky to me I went to nason's web site and they realy don't say.any of you painter's out know??:shrug::shrug:

no it's not rattle can it's the pro stuff this is the first Acrylic Enamel I have sprayed I use to use ppg concept but that was back in the 90's and was tri'n save some $$$$$
and there are no ppg stores down here so I used nason I was told its good stuff
I just don't know what to use over it.

Well, if no one else chimes in, you may need to be the guinea pig. Paint a scrap piece, wet-sand it, clear coat it. With the lacquer/enamel chemistry screw-ups of the old days long gone, you may have good results with the modern paints...

I could do that but I don't know what clear to get, also I don't want to buy clear if it is not going to work realy don't have alot of extra money right now to experiment with

I had a painter friend who had a very long gripe list about the new low/no VOC water based paints (back in late '80s - early '90s). His suggestion: AVOID!

My experience is only with PPG and DuPont. Know nothing about Nason...

I have sprayed a lot nason full thane and yes wet sand with lots of water and 1000 grit. If you get runs you might have to go to 600 grit.I have coverd Nason full thane with both Dupont and Spies Hecker clears with no problem.I have panted many classic cars with Nason full thane and top coat with Spies Hecker clear.I think I have a Camaro on my profile that I did that way.

if it's mettalic you might have an issue with the specks standing up. I've used nason clear many times and it sprayed out nicely..it's a cheaper clear like omni, but it would stick to about anything.

Dust specks and things like that are very common,I've seen that even in the down draft spray booth's.Unless you see some thing like a black speck in white it's very typical to continue with the paint work.The cheap clear's do work fine and I have sprayed them.I spent many years painting at a Benz. body shop and Spies Hecker is the factory used material.I fond that especially for bike fuel tanks the extremely high solid components of this brand make it very scratch resistant.Spies also has more UV protection.

I have sprayed a lot nason full thane and yes wet sand with lots of water and 1000 grit. If you get runs you might have to go to 600 grit.I have coverd Nason full thane with both Dupont and Spies Hecker clears with no problem.I have panted many classic cars with Nason full thane and top coat with Spies Hecker clear.I think I have a Camaro on my profile that I did that way.

great witch clear would you use ? no runs I wet sanded with 1200 got all the dirt out
I buffed a small fender and it looks ok just not as good as befor buffing ( no as shiny
the nason has great gloss be for buffing) I would like to clear it. Nason is also a dupont paint any they also sell dupont just need to know witch one to get up till now I have only used ppg.(used s/w one time in 1984 ) the last big thing I painted was a pro street 49 ford back in 1996 and the camaro looks great by the way.

Thanks Dirtydog,Dupont is a corporation that has bought out and owns many company's but that's like saying a Rolls is a VW since VW bought Rolls and Bentley.I have used the Dupont chroma series clear with good results.I would have to take a ride to my shop to see which version I have in stock but there are 2 or 3 versions and the more expensive the better the UV protection and scratch resistant.And don't for get to rewet-sand where you buffed.

Thank you for the info there only 2 places to get paint down here in P-town napa and barbor auto parts so I'm limeted to what I have to work with with out driving 100 miles to get ppg and isn't nason full thane urethane ? will what you have go over Acrylic Enamel ? hell what did we use way back when when all we had was enamel's?
now I know why I quit painting lol haha ( just kidding never realy did for a living just as
side job building street rod's for myself and frends ) the last car I did won good guys best
paint for car club that year in coumbus way back in 96 any it's been a long time and I hate to pay some one to do something I can do.

Yes the fullthane is urethane,I like to use this on classic cars that I have had to do a lot of body work on.I found that 2 coats-wet sand-2 coats-wet sand then clear,any scratch's you might have missed while sanding the primer are all taken care of.I have cleared over just about every thing Candy's urethane and I'm pretty sure enamel.I fell that if you give the under coat time to breath 224 to 48 hours depending the material you'll be fine.When I have a concern of wrinkling the substrait I spray a fairly dry first coat and give it 20 to 30 minutes flash time.The second heavy coat will bring up the shine you want.

Thanks it's been 6 days on the green and 4 on the black here is what I'm working on.I used a old eastwood turbing hvlp paint system
firts time for that too I like it it worked out very well I just got in a hurry and din't clean as good as I should have so I got dirt

Attachments

• 2014 bike bild off 001.jpg
    2014 bike bild off 001.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 218
  • 2014 bike bild off 003.jpg
    2014 bike bild off 003.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 220
I cant see the color very well in the pics but I dig the paint scheme,some times the dust or dirt in the paint comes from us.Use the air hose to give your self a good blow job(yes I know how that sounds)and put some water on the floor of your shop.

Back