Need to add front brake to Harley front forks or springer with brake

Silverguy80

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have recently bought a 1978 xs650 that is foot clutch hand shift no front brake. I ride in extremely crazy heavy traffic. Also this is my first time riding a setup like this. So I would like to add front disc brake to my bike. I wish I could add dual disc brake but so far don't think it's possible and I am on a budget. So far I know it has a sportster or narrow glide front on it. The fork lowers or sliders have been turned so no tabs available to add brakes also no way to add disk to the 23" spoke spool front wheel. It has 35mm fork tubes. I am thinking that I can switch the lower sliders to one's that have tabs for brakes and switch the wheel (want to stay 23") then add brake hand controls on left side of handle bar. Ok now depending on the cost of that...could I just switch to a narrow springer that is setup for disc brake and switch the wheel to one that works with the springer? If so what length springer do I get and how do I figure out what to get as I am not trying to change the stance of the bike.
Current setup measures 35mm fork tubes.
Top of triple tree to enter of axle is 27.75"
Top of cap on fork tube above triple tree to bottom of fork tube is 29.75"
Front wheel axle looks to be 7/8".

Any help figuring out how and what to do would be greatly appreciated. 20180501_111038.jpg 20180501_104050.jpg

Attachments

• 20180501_104058.jpg
    20180501_104058.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 295
From where I'm sitting, you should be checking the forum classifieds and ebay for:
Master cylinder
Brake hose
Front Caliper
A lower fork leg w/ the tabs still there.
front hub
And then maybe hit up one of the sponsors for the spokes to allow you to keep that wheel.
If you don't feel like re-lacing then it may get harder to find what you are looking for.
Either way ... not a "small" job.

If you ever drive through Charlotte, I have a front caliper I could give you, but the piston is in "dubious" condition and it needs a new seal.

I'd swap a fork leg with you since I only need a caliper on one side, but I need my brake on the right and I'm not sure you could use the left one with the caliper i have.

Agreed, not a small job. What’s your budget? Might want to address that oil leak while you’re at it.

Any idea as to what front hub I will be looking for? I have a buddy who might help me with the lacing a new hub. I think he has the stand to true a rim. @CoconutPete I would really appreciate the caliper! I wouldn't mind paying shipping for the caliper so I am one step closer. I can send PayPal, square cash, Google Wallet, or Facebook Messenger Payment to cover the shipping costs. If you are not cool with shipping it I might be able to have a buddy come by and pick it up. Otherwise I don't get to Charlotte very often or close to there. @figure8 the oil leak is known issue. Just replaced the shift shaft and cracked the side cover seal I just have have liquid gasket sealer on it and am waiting on new gasket for it. Now my kicker is not returning to kick position and the first time I put it all back together the kicker had no resistance whatsoever. So now I am clueless as to what I am doing wrong.

Nice offer from Pete, although your not sure what bike his caliper is off of. From what I can tell and from what you’ve said, you currently have a Harley front end on there. The neck cups are another give away. My advice....rather than try to piece this together find a complete Harley front end and drop it in, finding a sportster front end won’t be terribly hard. You’ll have to compromise and likely run a 21” wheel as Harley doesn’t offer a 23”. To get you riding safely ASAP I think that’s your best move. Lacing to a 23” sounds like a good winter project. Just my two cents.

Ah... good points from Figure8. I was thinking as if those were stock XS front legs. They really looked like it for a second. With that in mind not sure if my caliper would work. If you keep the Harley forks maybe not. Oh well. I'm here in Charlotte and I'm not going anywhere. Mrs. CoconutPete and I may even head to Asheville for a night away from the kids early next month. Let us know how it goes.

Just got checked my email and wow there is not a stem since bolt at lead from the picture. Getting ready to go check. @gggGary thanks for noticing that! I have been finding lots of missing bolts. I will get it all sorted eventually. Bought it 2 weeks ago and yet have got to even ride it. One of the previous owners cut the hand shift shaft off at the case. All cut the hand shifter Shaft. Idiots!!! Well I got that all fixed up then my kicker was locked up. Pulled it back apart and put what I thought was back together correctly. Well now the kicker doesn't return when I kick it. So gotta pull it all back apart. I will get the bolt for triple tree since bolt today. Man I am glad I didn't ride it like that. Oh and I am in the middle of cleaning the carbs. The bs38 carbs one was dumping fuel. Well one float was way high and one flat way low. So adjusting them. Just can' ffigure out if I messure off the carb body base where the float bowl gasket goes or off the lip of the carb body. There's a 2-3mm difference between the two. Hey I appreciate everything from ya'll. I worked a 29 hour shift Thursday through Friday. So wasn't online much and felt like I was dead yesterday. I did work on the carbs yesterday though.

Ok so update. I bought a sportster 39mm frontend off my buddy. Need to rebuild it cause in pieces but has brake caliper mounts on fork lowers. So that's a start. Previous owner told me the front wheel was off of some Harley. I forget which one. Anyway is a Japan D.I.D. rim. So yeah I counted spokes.i had assumed that they would be 40.nope it's 36 spokes. Does anyone make a hub for a sportster with 36 holes and disc. Negative! So looks like I will be buying a 23" wheel.since I want to stay with 23"wheel on front. Ugh this bike is testing my patience. I think I have finally figured out how the starter shaft is put back in to work correctly. That's been a huge pain in my ass.

Also cleaned carbs and adjusted them. I just want to ride this dang thing once. Think it's been almost a month since I bought it and yet have even ridden around the parking lot. Oh got the hand shifter welded and sorted.using a shifter knob off a 1953 Ford f3. For now at least.

Ok so update. I bought a sportster 39mm frontend off my buddy. Need to rebuild it cause in pieces but has brake caliper mounts on fork lowers. So that's a start. Previous owner told me the front wheel was off of some Harley. I forget which one. Anyway is a Japan D.I.D. rim. So yeah I counted spokes.i had assumed that they would be 40.nope it's 36 spokes. Does anyone make a hub for a sportster with 36 holes and disc. Negative! So looks like I will be buying a 23" wheel.since I want to stay with 23"wheel on front. Ugh this bike is testing my patience. I think I have finally figured out how the starter shaft is put back in to work correctly. That's been a huge pain in my ass.
Hate to be “that guy” but this is going to keep testing your patience. To start, don’t just buy any 23” wheel because the owner says it’s a “Harley” wheel. You have a sportser front end, you need the matching hub for that front end if you want disc brakes. Next, a lot of 23” wheels are going to be 36 spoke. These were common rims used on older dirt bikes. Having said that, yes 40 spoke 23” rims are available. Just be sure of that fact before you buy one, not to mention spoke angles are drilled correct for the hub. Now on to spokes, I would suggest you contact Buchanan’s and tell what you need. This will be costly but they will be correct. And lastly, if the front end didn’t come with a caliper and disc these will also need to be verified to fit your year front end. Ok, now I’m winded.

I’m not assuming you don’t know any of this OP, but it’s out there for you or anybody else that may be wondering and see this.

I know it's going to test my patience. I have built bikes before. I worked for a awhile restoring bsa nortons royal enfields triumph and Ducati motorcycles that were from 50's and 60's. I just bought and thought I was going to replace the shift shaft and the hand shifter and be up and running. Everyone of my motorcycle buddies are telling me to add a front brake. I am the type of person to not give a shit about a front brake but I do realize that I daily ride in insane and dangerous traffic for a motorcycle rider. It's dangerous in a car.

Ok now how do identify what year and model the 39mm forks came off of? Harley stuff is like french to me. I want to make absolutely sure I order the correct disc, caliper, brake lever, etc.oh and I guess I will order a 23" wheel for it. That's made for sportster frontend forks. Any advice on spoke wheels that would look good on this bike.theres quite a few options.i think I would like to do black rim, black fat spokes, chrome or silver nipples and silver hub. Maybe 40-100 spokes? Although I am on a tight budget. so... I just don't want to do 21" front with my 17" I think it is Excel rear spoke. Heck I have considered even going as big as 26" on this bike. I am not into baggers and all that just think it might look good on this build with the 17" rear.

I realize I assumed on the front wheel =makes an ass out of you and me. It's expenses I was hoping to not have to spend so much.

Anybody make a 36 spokes or holes sportster hub. Someone should. It would have been nice to use this rim. Previous owner laced it to a mini spool with a rib in the middle.anyone want to buy this wheel when I get a new one? I haven't ridden a motorcycle in 3 or 4 years. I have wanted an xs650 chopper since about 1996. So I am losing my mind to ride it.got complete gasket kit for it today. So hopefully I install kicker correctly this time and crank case gasket gets rid of my major leak. Any advice on fork rebuild kits for showa 39mm forks single disc?

Back