Need wiring diagram; installed Hughs Handbuilt CDI

nobackhair

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realize there are plenty of wiring diagrams already available on here but I'm pretty sure I have a reason to feel like I need to go with something different. Mainly because I installed Hughs Handbuilt newer CDI kit. Because he got to a point where he had excessive amounts of inquiries as how to go from where he leaves off he won't do any more than that. Mainly because everyone has a diffent plan as to how they set up loads, w/ or w/out a battery, keyless, kill switch, and so on. I don't blame him but since his layout of this CDI is different from anything I've come across. I feel it could be in his best interest, for dummies like me, to post a couple of basic diagrams. If anything it would reduce the risk of frying his components. In my case one that's batteryless w/ key and kill switch, kickstart only. I do have his system installed and have spark. Has anyone done this same install identical to mine?
Is there really multiple ways to route how one intends to set up their wiring? If creating a drawing (scematic) of his CDI kit would help I can do that. I plan on posting something to help future members get thru this once I'm done. The book he sends w/ kit guides you thru the install easily he's not responsible for any more than that. He did answer all my inquiries thru that.

As far as wiring the rest of the bike, I assume there is a positive and a negative connections to the PMA section of Hugh's unit. Just hook the negative to a frame ground, Run the positive to a fuse, or more than one, one for each circuit you want to power.
Couldn't be simpler.
Leo

I also bought this system and I'm having trouble as well. I am trying to wire it with a 3 position key switch (off / ignition / lights), however, no matter what position I have the switch, I still get a spark when I kick it over.

On any switch, OFF means open circuit................its that simple. Use your VOM to measure resistance of the switch positions. If you get low resistance (short circuit), when in the OFF posistion, then the switch is defective.

The system is no different than other except most CDI systems don't have 12 volts ran to it. Spark comes from unit. If you copy and send me the directions I will put something together. I would like to make up a simple harness to sell for that kit but I am not buying one anytime soon.
Contact me if interested at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM.

Ruff drawing.png
I also bought this system and I'm having trouble as well. I am trying to wire it with a 3 position key switch (off / ignition / lights), however, no matter what position I have the switch, I still get a spark when I kick it over.[/QUOI tin=
I think his system is similar to mine, you need to install the relay, so it has 12v when the switch is turned on. I do it like this.. 12v line to key switch, the on side of switch to kills switch, other side of kill switch to the relay.
Basically you are putting a kill switch in series , so the key and the kill switch both have to be on to spark, if ether of the 2 are open(off) it will ground the kill
switch wire coming out of the cdi box
Also for this to work you need a on/off kill switch not just a momentary one..

Back