Sold / Found / Inactive - Need XS650 IGNITION UNIT BOX

RockingThePartyDJ

XS650 Obsessed
Reaction score
I'm in need of an XS650 TCI box, or some call the CDI box, or as it is labeled on the actual unit "Ignition Unit"
cdi.jpg

Yep looking for the Ignition Unit Box that if you look online in many places it is labeled/named CDI box.
Not the Hughs CDI Ignition
If you have one for a reasonable price shipped to 49858
Pleeeaaassse let me know
PM me or text or call 715-587-3800
thank you all
Dave

Last edited:
... try the local cycle boneyard.... Sport Wheels, Jordan, MN. They have a website... email them with your needs.. part number helps. They have a few XS units still in the yard. Last summer all rolling Xs650's and Cb450's were gathered and ship'd across the pond.
IMG_8599.JPG

Hell of a picture...............
tim

Mr. Riggs was doing an experiment with a Mazda(?) ignition control unit. I believe Littlebill had picked one up also but I haven't seen any more on it.

Search Mitsubishi J120 ........

Last edited:
Thank you for the information all, and i'm open to anyone's additional info if they have it.
because I am in agreement that there must be a reasonably priced alternative to the pricey yamaha unit
but if you have a spare Ignition Unit/TCI/CDI call it what you like LOL that you can part with at a reasonable price please shot me a PM message, text message, or call after 6am but i may not answer until after 2:45 pm central when i'm leaving work.
it would be appreciated
thank you all
Dave

Last edited:
Not sure, hope someone in the know will chime in, but isn't there at least two different styles? Thinking one has an extra wire or two possibly for the bikes with the side-stand safety switch? Seems my 1981 ignition box was just a little different than the one in the 1982 I got running last spring.

80-81 6 wire, 82-83 7 wires in an 8 wire plug but you can just cut away some plastic from the plug and
swap them either way. Done it several times, you lose the side stand switch interlock :yikes: if you use a 6 wire TCI in the 8 wire harness

80-81 6 wire, 82-83 7 wires in an 8 wire plug but you can just cut away some plastic from the plug and
swap them either way. Done it several times, you lose the side stand switch interlock :yikes: if you use a 6 wire TCI in the 8 wire harness

That was what I was thinking but did not want to say too much on the chance I was not 100% correct.

Maybe the OP will chime back in with if his is the six or seven wire version, assuming he cares.
Also there is or was a guy over on the old Yam650 list who repaired these modules, most problems are just due to failed solder joints inside. He is still active over there if someone is interested, maybe on this site too.

Do a search on this site for "rickthefix" if your's is repairable he is the guy to send it to!

Or click on your name in the upper right of the page and select "Start a conversation"

Last edited:
That was what I was thinking but did not want to say too much on the chance I was not 100% correct.

Maybe the OP will chime back in with if his is the six or seven wire version, assuming he cares.
Also there is or was a guy over on the old Yam650 list who repaired these modules, most problems are just due to failed solder joints inside. He is still active over there if someone is interested, maybe on this site too.
I need to check, when i get to my garage, truthfully I didn't realize there was a difference between the years, I actually do appreciate all of the information.
So if I need to eliminate the sidestand safety switch, what would I need to do to the TCI?
If anyone knows the best method to overide/eliminate it for the TCI with the additional wire.
And BTW I do care and appreciate everyones help

$50 shipped?
6 wire unit, the factory connector has been cut off.

Attachments

• CDI (1).jpg
    CDI (1).jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 159
  • CDI (2).jpg
    CDI (2).jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 128
Thank you for the information all, and i'm open to anyone's additional info if they have it.
because I am in agreement that there must be a reasonably priced alternative to the pricey yamaha unit
but if you have a spare Ignition Unit/TCI/CDI call it what you like LOL that you can part with at a reasonable price please shot me a PM message, text message, or call after 6am but i may not answer until after 2:45 pm central when i'm leaving work.
it would be appreciated
thank you all
Dave
You can send in your defective TCI unit to Carmo located in Chico, California for diagnostics and repair. They give a one year warranty.

Back