Needed wire diagram For Mikes XS solid state rectifier regulator

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have the diagram or can tell me how it's supposed to hook up?
the 3 yellows I get, but not sure on the other wires. Would rather know than smoke it.

24-2089.jpg

Solid State Rectifier Regulator - Replaces Original individual units used on
1970-79 650's. Comes with connector block/terminal kits and instructions to
wire in direct to Original wiring harness.

Part #24-2089

From Mike's:

Mikes directions for 70-79 reg/rec #24-2089

Rectifier side (6 space connector)
3 yellow to 3 white
1 red to 1 red
1 green to 1 black

reg side (3 space connector)
orange to green
blue to brown
*add 2nd ground from base to bat(-)

Thanks LB n' tcat! that should be enough to do it. I still wouldn't turn down a picture of the directions! either here or to my email.

I removed the old wiring, now following the sempilfied how do I connect the wires of the solid state rectifier regulator mike xs?
in your chart semplified colors are:
brown - green - red - black and white 3
ok white with yellow
orange with?
green with?
blue with?
red with?
I also put the screws on the nylon brushes?
sure some answer thank you
As always I apologize for the incorrect English
hello annibale

lets say we dont have the stock wiring on the bike and are wiring it froms scratch mikes rec/reg has a
green
orange
red
blue
and three yellows

and the motor has
3 white (I know) to 3 yellows
green
black

what then?

Last edited:
littlebill31 has it right.
ANNABALE, if the reg/rec you have is for the 70-79 bikes then you don't need the nylon screws. See post #3 in it littlebill31 explains what colors hook to which colors.
builder
Stator--------------Reg/rec
3 white-------------3 yellow
green---------------orange
black----------------green
red---------------battery positive
blue--------------power after main switch
ground the case.
If you use wires the same color as stock it will be easier to work with.
Leo

I knew I had a copy. Just took awhile to find.
Leo

Attachments

• Rectifier%20Regulator%20Instructions.jpg
    Rectifier%20Regulator%20Instructions.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 1,571
Thats what I was looking for ! Only my second bike from scratch and I take my time doing it right. much appreciated thanks guys :thumbsup:

okay so checking my wiring. My stator wiring has actually 5 white wires. but with one with green cloth covering and one with black cloth cover. I am assuming green to green and black to red.

I also had to repin the 6 pin connector supplied with the replacement reg/rect.
1003957_10151437920401417_1511407479_n.jpg

Actually reading this thread a little more carefully... I am wiring the bike from scratch. Its a barebones chop. So I need in the six pin connector the whites going to the yellows the green cloth wrapped to orange on new reg/rec, and black cloth wrapped to the green on the new reg/rec.

Then separate the red and blue wires... Red going right to the bat+ I will connect it with a inline fuse.
Now Blue is going to the main power terminal on the new fuseblock I have?

Last edited:
Just discovered this evening that I have this unit on my '79 with new brushes (Mikes, but I'm not going to change them if they work!)

littlebill31 has it right.
ANNABALE, if the reg/rec you have is for the 70-79 bikes then you don't need the nylon screws. See post #3 in it littlebill31 explains what colors hook to which colors.
builder
Stator--------------Reg/rec
3 white-------------3 yellow
green---------------orange
black----------------green
red---------------battery positive
blue--------------power after main switch
ground the case.
If you use wires the same color as stock it will be easier to work with.
Leo

Do exactly what this says and you will have no problems. If you plan on reusing the factory connector you might have to move some of the wires around on the connector.

yes but make sure it is a switched wire, most commonly wired to the brown and it must have a 10 A fuse in the line. I just wired mine in last night and checked it by switching the ignition on and then checking to see if the blue/brown has power only when ignition is on. Your motor must be as old as mine its a 306.

Hi everyone.
I have seen this post a few times and thought I would try to make anyone who is trying to wire one of these units up on a 70-79 XS650 lives a little easier with a nice color diagram which works. It's just a lot easier when you can see pictures I think... just make sure you have the correct pre 1980 stator.

You can find this on www.limeybikes.com too

70-79_XS650_CHARGING_LimeyBikes.jpg

Limey! Blimey! thanks for this, just got mine in the mail. Does one have to add a second ground from base to battery (instructions say so) IF we ground the green to frame (as you suggest we do).

*Edit: ..and I mean to battery!! Anyhow, from what I'm reading - improved grounding always welcome.

Also, question for anyone, what is your preferred way to.. run a wire off a wire that way? A connector, or is there a fancy way to solder that?

THANKS KINDLY,
-T.

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad this has helped someone!
The Ricks (or Mikes XS) units usually do not need an additional ground as they ground through the green wire (which should be grounded to the frame/battery negative). But it never hurts to have more grounds. I usually bolt these on something metal just to make sure.
As for what fuse... I usually run a 10A. Honestly, that will only protect from a short not an over-charging regulator.
Hope this helps!

Back