Needing info on electrical start

Dee_nice83

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My 73 tx650 is only kickstart. PO made it that way. Now I am not great with electricals on bikes, but i would like to put back the electrical start just incase i need to use it at those critical times when I am riding with a group and still keep the kickstarter.

The Decompression cable/tappet has been removed and I am considering also to put that back. Found one on ebay and i might bid on it.

I just need some help on what is needed and what to do to accomplish this. As this is posted I am still doing my research on my own right now but maybe a straight forward instruction would be great. Thanks.

The starter is a bolt on, no tricks there, if it was even removed. Was it? Get under your bike and look.

If it was removed, you need to figure out to what extent he removed the internal gearing for the starter. But guess what, you're in luck! I'm tearing the starter gears out of my '73 TX650 tomorrow, and I can get you what you need. Just PM me :)

My starter is dead, otherwise I'd offer that as well.

The starter is under the motor, it shouldn't hard to find. If it's not there, you will find a block-off plate of some persuasion in place. That's going to have to be removed and the starter installed.

Back