Needle jets...stock BS34 vs Canadian needle jet

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
So I'm about to install my canadian needle jets. THe stocker comes out find but when I look at the two there is something puzzling. On the end nearest the float bowl the stocker has a large hole at 90 degrees of the locating groove that would be pointed toward the pilot jet area.

On the canadian needle jet the same hole is located 180 degrees from the locating groove.

Does that hole do anything? The main jet screws in just below it but I'm not sure if this affects anything.

Is this correct for a canadian needle jet?

Your guess is as good as mine. Honestly, that's something I never even noticed (but will look at in the future). I think that hole feeds fuel to the pilot jet since it's capped over with that rubber plug. But don't hold me to that 100%, lol. I'll have to open some 34s and have a look.

The stock needle jet is the dirty one....hole oriented 90 degrees from the index groove. The other is the brand new canadian needle jet from Mikesxs with the hole oriented 180 degrees from the hole.
1235072_10201144421486273_1866350552_n.jpg

1229825_10201144422006286_180518929_n.jpg

Great...I just looked up the pic on Mikesxs website. Sure enough they are incorrect. Why is it that nearly every order I've placed with Mikexs has been a total disaster.

48-0662.jpg

Just open box with Canadian jets and needles. Same orientation of hole as yours. Receipt says jet 336 yo. We ordered the right part.

There's gotta be a reason its like that. I'm tearing into carbs shortly.

Your's is like mine in the top most picture in this thread.

Mine is incorrect. I've contacted multiple dealers service depts and sudco. All said that it is unlikely to work with the hole not lined up with the pilot passage. THey wouldn't risk it. Then look at the pics. Mine is different than the stock and the one pictured at MikesXS. If your's has a hole that's 180degrees from the index groove its was incorrectly made.

I also asked the sudco (a Mikuni US retailer) if I could just drill a hole in its proper spot and they said it may work but your risking your motor. They wouldn't suggest doing it.

I was emailing back and forth with someone at mikesXS earlier today. He said I should have an answer by Tomorrow. I really just hope that the pics are proof enough and they don't require me to send it back before getting a new one. I don't feel like I should have to pay shipping back either. I'll mention to them tonight that at least one other member on the xs650 forum has the same incorrectly made needle jet.

I suggest you shoot them an email as well.

I'll post info when I find out more. The only other thing I can think of doing to fix these is to either drill another hole (but then what do you do with the existing one) or cut a new groove with a dremel...doable but then you might get increased wear on the carb body where the old groove is.

New groove would be my choice. That's the problem in the first place. Groove in ours is cut under 4 hole pattern, when it should of been cut 90 degrees over to a 5 hole.

Hopefully, mikes can just get these swapped out soon. I feel like these are the missing link to a correct carb setup for my mods.

This whole needle jet thing got me thinking:

Can stock ( or just correctly drilled needle jets) needle jets be installed on wrong side and block passage way. Don't remember reading in carb guide and don't remember ever noticing when installing jets in body.

"[FONT=&quot]We have sold thousands of these jets without a problem, because the jet is below the fuel level the fuel seems to find it's way from the jet to the needle jet, but if yours doesn’t please [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]return the part. All ours are the same as what we sent.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I think drilling a new hole in the proper spot would be easier. That area of the needle jet is a snug fit in the carb body. No fuel would come out that hole that's in the wrong spot, it has nowhere to go. You could always block the bad hole with JB Weld too. But, you shouldn't have to do any of this. That jet is just plain made wrong. It's been a year or two since I installed a set of the Canadian needle jets and that bike ran fine so I can only assume they were made correctly. I never did check for this problem but like I said, it ran good. I don't think the bike will even idle with the needle jets you got. No fuel would flow to the pilot jet.

I inspected some BS34s I have. All the needle jets are the stockers and have the hole at 90° to the slot .....

StockNeedleJets.jpg

I even stuck a piece of wire through to see if, indeed, that hole is the pilot jet feed, and it is .....

NeedleJetFeed.jpg

It needs to be at 90° to the slot and facing the pilot .....

NeedleJetHole.jpg

This is what i got about 30 minutes ago:

I need more information, we have sold over 200 of these this year and this is the 1st complaint, are both needles bad because I assume all we have in stock are the same and are working for everyone else.

I responded back but with little hope that they are going to fix this properly. Looks like I'm drilling some holes. Thanks twins. Good luck zoom

This is so typical of Mikesxs business. They have huge numbers of parts manufactured in Taiwan, in factories with no quality control. Then when the customer finds the parts don't work, they admit no guilt and continue to sell the crap parts.

Back