Neutral detent

blukrom

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I built a 76 xs from scratch with eBay parts. So everything was from different bikes and sources. So I don't have a frame of reference as to how it worked before. That being said the bike is together running great. The problems am having is shifting. It doesn't shift easily. You need to be pretty for flu to get it into gear. Especially downshifting. I have down all the clutch adjustments shown here and even replaced the clutch. So now I'm looking at other things. The neutral detent has a very stiff spring and the cap pushes down really hard on the little dowel thing. Is it possible there is too much pressure causing shit difficulties?
Thanks for any input.

... You need to be pretty for flu to get it into gear...

First time I've heard that kind of problem. :yikes:
Can't find it in any manuals.

There are a couple of threads in here with similar shift problems, owners found bent/damaged spring or plunger. A simple experiment you can try is to remove the neutral detent plunger and spring, and see if bench shifting is easier.

Edit: I see you're running cafe-style shift linkage. Lotta lateral force on the shiftshaft. May want to look into needle bearings to improve shifting.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=433625#post433625

Last edited:
Thanks twomany. Lol I guess I should have read my post better before posting. Lol.
You bring up a good point about the force on the shifter. That piece is really short. I will try putting on the stock shift lever and see if it works any different.
Thanks for your help!

A lot of use tighten the neutral detent to help with shifting. Tighter helps it stop in neutral instead of slipping past.
Leo

Back