Never ending upgrades.

MacMcMacmac

Failed Hedonist.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
What's the hot tip for making the front forks bearable? Mine are soft as all get-out and have almost no damping. Progressive Suspension springs and emulators, or is there a cheaper route? As much as I'd like a GSXR front end on there, it isn't happening anytime soon. I'd like to keep the stockers for the easy dual disc upgrade capability, as I like the symmetrical look of the duals.

The guy I bought the bike from ( who I also sold it to last year.....yes, I have now bought this exact bike 3 times now...) also put the yellow spring remote reservoir shocks on (look like crap, can't fit the chain guard, and the chain rubs on the lower spring coils), the cafe bars, which necessitated removal of the clutch interlock switch, and the "performance" two into one header, which is rusting lustily. That and the shorty reverse cone megaphone makes it sound like a loud dirtbike. In short, every mod done to the bike in its short time away from me has detracted from its appeal, to me anyway. I was especially disappointed in the header. It has rust pits all over and is blued and browned at the head. All after only one year! unfortunately, he ditched the stock headers, so a complete system is in order. That symmetry thing again. Didn't Mike's have a set of stainless headpipes for sale at some point? I can't find them on XS650Direct. Wouldn't be the first item unavailable in Canada that was in the States.

Has anyone ever fitted a Sportster single speedo? I think it might look pretty nice for a minimalist setup.

Sorry for the rambling post.

If you're dealing with the later 35mm forks, they can be made bearable for next to nothing. Do the Minton Mods to the damper rods, run 7 ounces of oil, and add maybe about 1" preload spacers to the stock springs. Progressive springs and those emulators are nice upgrades but will cost a good buck. Apparently, straight rate springs work better than progressives with the emulators. I have progressive springs, run 7 ounces of 10 wt. fork oil, and the Minton Mods, and am quite happy with my forks.

Back