new 1976 xs650 project!

xs65071

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey just picked up another xs650 was told all original except paint (96 Porsche purple) and clutch lever. Have the owners manual. Had plans on building another bobber. Do you guys think its better to just leave og. I do love the older stock bike looks so I wouldn't mind keeping it stock. If i did keep stock id like to get it painted the stock color blue. Or find/ trade for the og tanks and parts.

IMG_20160405_183725_zpsrr5ycatv.jpg

IMG_20160405_183754_zpsbrd0owxr.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Some gold accents in the '78/'79 Standard tank and tins style would look good on that color. The Euro red scheme for that year, '76, looks good too. Nothing wrong with having a stocker in the stable, especially a Standard.

Nice bike. I agree with our friend from Indiana to keep it stock. It will maintain its value, and the tradition that this bike was meant for. Yes, the red paint scheme would look great, and the decals are available, tho fairly expensive.

The final paint of the covers and tank is all I have left to do on my '76; later this month, I hope, weather permitting.

Attachments

• XS650.rebuild 007.jpg
    XS650.rebuild 007.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 364
Leave that thing alone! It is sweet as it is. Very clean stocker. I like bobber and cafes, but this one is too nice to hack up.

Thanks guys, I'm going with stock bike. Would it hurt to change the rear shocks and bars? I'm going to try and get better pictures been working on it today. Waiting for battery to charge to see if it starts and has power. And what model is this bike? It came with a owners manual that says xs650b and a service manual that says xs650c? It's a standard also right?

If it is a 1976, then it would be an XS650C. The front forks seem to indicate that. It was the first year with the brake caliper behind the fork leg. A 1975 XS650B would have it in front. Yes, it's fine to change bars and rear shocks, most of us do. Stock rear shocks from this era were pretty bad new, probably really bad now, lol. Yes, it is what's known as a Standard. The cruiser style Special didn't come along until 1978. If you must hack something up, find a Special. They're much more common than the Standard. The Standard models are getting harder and harder to find.

Thanks guys, I'm going with stock bike. Would it hurt to change the rear shocks and bars? I'm going to try and get better pictures been working on it today. Waiting for battery to charge to see if it starts and has power. And what model is this bike? It came with a owners manual that says xs650b and a service manual that says xs650c? It's a standard also right?

It appears to be a '76C, like mine, and yes, a Standard, which is a sought-after bike !

And its cool to change the shocks if yours don't seem to be working well, but some have found they are still damping after all these years. Mike's XS has some decent aftermarket shocks make by EMGO. I have them on my bike in the pic. And I went with "Euro" bars, which are popular. I do not suggest you get them at M-Cycle Superstore, as the chrome is poor on theirs.

One thing to keep in mind: the stock handlebars have weights in them at the ends, to reduce vibration. New ones will not, but you could add weights if the vibration bothers you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys going to take the carbs off tonight. They are bs38s right? And also I just put I carved battery in and the lights work, but the blinkers don't blink, horn doesn't work and electric start isn't working? Any ideas?

Thanks for the info guys going to take the carbs off tonight. They are bs38s right? And also I just put I carved battery in and the lights work, but the blinkers don't blink, horn doesn't work and electric start isn't working? Any ideas?

Yes, you seem to have the stock BS38's. Nice carbs, quite adjustable.

Don't assume that you have bad components. Your next job is to go through all your electrical connections, front-to-back, disconnecting them and cleaning them up with a wire brush and similar tools. An electrical spray cleaner like De-Oxit can help. This can take a couple hours, but it is essential.

Dis-assembling the engine kill switch at the right handgrip is important, and cleaning the internal connections well.

This process will also help you get to know the bike's structure and functioning, assisted by reading your service manual. I imagine you'll have questions along the way, so just ask away, someone will assist you at this forum. :thumbsup:

Keep the pictures coming !

Thanks. Got it to work. Everything works for the electrical wanted to make sure it cranked over before I took it apart. Just the blinkers dont blink its just a solid light. Just got the carbs off tonight will add some pics. They look decent bottom of bowls have black gum in them and one slide was stuck but now it's fine. And diaphragms look good also. I will be giving them to a friend to put in he ultrasonic cleaner.

Some 76C Pics.

Top 4 Are US and Some other countries colors and the bottom 4 are for some Euo countries

Attachments

• 75BC  E.jpg
    75BC E.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 288
  • 75B fol1E1_4.jpg
    75B fol1E1_4.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 264
  • 1 2l.jpg
    1 2l.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 833
  • 1 2h.jpg
    1 2h.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 255
  • 1 1a.jpg
    1 1a.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 1 1.jpg
    1 1.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 283
  • 1 1z.jpg
    1 1z.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 311
  • 76C xs650C-1.jpg
    76C xs650C-1.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 296

Hi xs65071,
bars is like shoes, they gotta fit you or they ain't comfortable so it's OK to get bars that suit your own ergonomics and preferred riding stance.
And shocks is like tires, they get old and worn out and need to be changed.
The original shocks were made down to a price, not up to a standard; a shock upgrade is a good idea.

Thanks. Got it to work. Everything works for the electrical wanted to make sure it cranked over before I took it apart. Just the blinkers dont blink its just a solid light. Just got the carbs off tonight will add some pics. They look decent bottom of bowls have black gum in them and one slide was stuck but now it's fine. And diaphragms look good also. I will be giving them to a friend to put in he ultrasonic cleaner.

When the turn signals are solid and don't flash, it means the flasher unit is not getting enough current flow. To get enough current, the voltage needs to be 13 volts or more. If your engine is off, the battery may only be at 12 volts, so the signals don't flash. When the engine starts and idle is 1200 rpm or more, they should flash.

In addition, you should remove all 4 signal lights, and clean the sockets/bulb bases of any rust/debris you find. By doing this cleaning, you are again increasing the current flow which allows the flasher to do its job.

If you want your signals to work better, over a wider voltage range, buy a
Tridon HD12 flasher unit.

Thanks for all the info, I will use the advice for the turn signals. Haven't got engine running yet so we will see if they work then. And thanks for the 76 pics the guy said the bike used to be the blue color. Think it's French blue I'm looking to paint it that color after I get it running and get the stock decals.

Don't worry about all that little bs. Work on making it ROAR!!
Blinkers later. You have arms, have you not?

My pictures are not the best, but got the carbs off they look in pretty good shape just some old gas gummed up in bottom of bowls. So far I have everything removed from the bottom of carbs I was going to clean everything and order new rebuilt kits and see if it will start.

Back