New 650 Twin from India

MrBultaco

Motorcyclist
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
from India...are they trying to replicate the XS? Looks better than Yamaha's answer.

Why is it important? First Royal Enfield bike to touch 160 km/h. Also, cheapest parallel-twin engine
interceptor-6.jpg

Royal Enfield showcased the Interceptor at the EICMA 2018 alongside the Continental GT. The Interceptor will be a brand new, all-new bike that will be powered by a new 650cc, twin-cylinder, air-cooled four-stroke engine. The engine produces a maximum of 47 Bhp – 52 Nm and will get fuel injection. There is a six-speed manual transmission that sends power to the rear wheel. It is expected to get an ex-showroom price of around Rs. 3 lakh.

...and just what the heck does Rs. 3 lakh mean...you might ask?

Well, in the Indian numbering system, I have discovered that 1 lakh = 100,000 of anything (dollars, ducks, Big Macs....whatever) and so...Rs. 1 lakh means 1 lakh of rupees which is 100,000 rupees - which sounds like a lot - but a rupee is only about 1.5 cents and so 1 lakh rupees that is just a bit less that $1500 USD (actually it is $1483 USD right now).

Soooo..... Rs. 3 lakh is just about $4500 USD or around $6000 CAD.

Now - is $4500 USD or $6000 Canadian a reasonable price for what is essentially a modern version of an XS650 (and yes, I fully realize that the two bikes have zero design commonality beyond their nominal engine displacement) - and in my view, the answer is weeeellllll....sort of.

That is somewhat less than the cost of say....a 2017 Suzuki SV650 - another mid-sized 650cc twin which is comparably sized, but significantly better equipped (tubeless tires on cast wheels, three disk brakes and ABS) plus the engine makes about 60% more power (74 HP for the SV650 versus 47 for the R-E) and it has a 6-speed manual tranny, a digital gear indicator, an ambient thermometer and a fuel gauge....but what the heck.

I happen to know that a Suzuki SV650 can be had for $7345 CAD or just about $5K USD - so the R-E is definitely a bit cheaper. Also, I'll bet the Royal Enfield Interceptor sounds great and is a ball to ride. It sure looks nice in that photo posted by Mr. Bultaco above.

Incidentally, the Indians have unique and entirely different numbering system and so if you go there, you might also encounter the "crore" - which I am told equals 10 million (again, of anything...tires, mice, clocks, ham sandwiches...whatever).

EDIT: Tebo - you just go back and sit down and leave that nice motorcycle alone...young man!
Scolding_Mother.jpg

Last edited:
This looks like a great platform to start ripping stuff off of. I wonder what it would look like with the fender extensions removed, seat shortened about 8", 2 into 1 exhaust, less bulky headlight, gauges removed, more compression, bigger cams, different gearing, better tires etc? WAIT WAIT! I`ve done this before.
Just went on their website and it looks really great the way it is. What was I thinking???:umm:

Even available with a chrome tank.:heart:

Well I am a cynic. I think a well sorted and maintained 40 year old XS 650 would be more reliable and possibly faster than the new Indian RE Interceptor.

I put my peepers on them at the recent IMS ..... I like the Interceptor.... the cap between the seat and taillight on the "café" kill'd the lines for me.
Was told... $6500 for the Interceptor and $6900 for the café style are the target price stateside. ABS standard.. a EU requirement.
I'm wait'n for magazine reviews... owner feed back... But.. $6500... for a bike I already got two of... Xs1 and 82' XS... tough to justify. Since used doesn't bother me... perhaps purchase a low mileage RE Interceptor ... ?

I think that's the death of many retro attempts; you can find an original, do a thorough overhaul and still be below the new version pricewise not to mention the "look at that" factor is always higher on the originals.

"Modern version of the XS650"?! Gentlemen, allow me please to remind you that Royal Enfield was producing parallel twins long before Genichi Kawakami decided that postwar Japan needed more mopeds more than it needed more musical instruments. There's not much "modern" about the Interceptor. It's an updated version of the Royal Enfield 750, downsized to 650 cc., probably due to domestic (Indian) regs and rates.

Well.....I hesitate to differ Grizld1 and I am not familiar with the details of the older 750 model, but from what I can see on the website, the Interceptor has:
  • an engine balance shaft;
  • four valves/cylinder (not sure why the power is so low....at only 47 BHP. I suppose it could be related to emissions certification without a catalyst);
  • disc brakes with ABS (I was incorrect is suggesting earlier that it didn't have anti-lock stoppers);
  • modern electronics (i.e. reliable switchgear and charging system);
  • a TCI ignition system (minimal tune-ups and reliable operation);
  • fuel injection (consistent running, good mileage and power...);
  • an electric starter (makes the bike accessible for everyone...even oldies who have bad knees - like me);
  • I suspect is also has LED lights (I didn't notice on the website);
Anyhow, I'd guess that it is a significant leap ahead of the older bike in many substantive ways.

What surprises me is that they appear to be charging top-dollar for it - and I agree with Gary that this will be a significant impediment to sales. As I mentioned yesterday, for that kind of money, you can get a modern 650 twin bike (such as for example, the Suzuki SV650) that is smoother than any 360 or 270 degree engine, has tubeless tires and produces 60% more power, a much wider dealer support network and a 20 year track record of being a heck of a good bike with spares and accesories plentifully available.

Too bad really, if R-E used their lower labour costs and kept the price significantly lower than the SV650 and other mid-sized offerings, I suspect that they could snag a lot of sales away from the larger companies, particularly from people who want the retro-look and feel but don't have the time or skills to get and keep an old bike on the road.

As for waiting for a used Interceptor - good luck. I suspect that the folks who buy one of these will keep them - forever. Have you tried to find a used Honda GB500 lately (they now sell for around $5-9K USD - if you can even find one)?

Anyhow - time will tell and in the meantime, I'll be looking for a test ride on one of those pretty tangerine orange machines!

Pete

Pete, except for EFI and ABS, all of the features you listed are hardly "modern;" they were showing up on UJMs almost 40 years ago. Check out specs on the 1980 Suzuki GS750, for example. As far as power goes, remember that back in the day advertized power was stated in gross h.p.measured at the crank with no alternator or drive train in place, and current practice is to state net h.p. at the wheel. If Enfield's number represents net power, the motor will comfortably exceed the output of the XS650. I would guess that output was kept relatively low for the sake of reliability and longevity. Remember, Enfield builds primarily for their home market, and it's my guess that static CR was kept fairly low to accomodate local fuels and prevent overheating, since the motor is air cooled. Also there might be surcharges on higher powered machines in the home market. As to the price, check out what Mama Yama want for the SR400 in North America. The price tag looks reasonable to me. If you take the Kawasaki KLR650 single or the Hardly Ableson 750 for price and power comparison, the Enfield starts to look pretty good.

While I find it visually appealing, I'm too addicted to the power-to-weight ratio of my FJ.

Also, after riding the FJ for several months, I hopped back on my XS (before I sold it) and found the seat-to-pegs distance FAR too short and distinctly uncomfortable. The bike is just too darn small for my 6 foot frame and enormous arse.

The Kaw W650.. a handsome bike and they do well on evil buy. There's one list'd now for over 6 grand.. Yikers !... I also like the Suz Templar (spoke wheels, blue) from the early 80's. The states got them for 2 yrs.
Wait'n for reviews from the various magazines.... and we'll see in the spring.

There’s just no way for an air cooled bike, Old or modern to compete powerwise with a water cooled bike. The water cooling allows the manufacturer to push the compression way up, thus increasing power. The only real way to get substantial power from an air cooled engine is to increase displacement, say up to or over 1000cc, but then that comes with its own disadvantages, primarily size and weight. Everything comes at a cost. Modern air cooled Moto Guzzi’s ( especially the really low compression 750) , Honda’s modern CB1100, and most any other air cooled bikes get their butts kicked by similar displacement water cooled bikes.
You buy a bike like the Royal Enfield, or Moto Guzzi, or CB1100 because you like the style and the idea of riding the modern version of a vintage bike, complete with all the hidden modern niceties that Pete mentioned before.
As was also mentioned before dealer support for some of the less common but more charming bikes make ownership problematic.
Frankly it’s the only reason I have never owned a Moto Guzzi. I have wanted one since I was a teenager!
Such as this 2009 California Vintage
74F0AB1E-44C9-4352-B23A-557916EC07AB.jpeg
Or the original old Guzzi
3B6F2FEF-82AA-4510-BBB8-178A5F30EC9C.jpeg
I just love that big hunk of a motor.
I did however own the German equivalent,
an R100/7.
FAA5F60D-65B2-4509-9463-B328AA5917E6.jpeg

Agreed Mailman.

Folks like most of us don’t buy bikes like the XS650 or the R-E for their speed - BUT - the large majority of the motorcycling crowd does treasure speed and power and so....the R-E is bound to lose sales on that score.

Back