New Advance spring problems

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I finally got some new Yamaha Advance springs on line ,they appear to be original, black in colour in original
Yamaha packaging and are brand new (not used) .I installed them and checked timing to insure not over advancing. (this was a few weeks ago) I noticed lately that my idle wants to climb and bike runs really well and crisp down low into mid range, better then ever actually, plugs look perfect, carbs were previously set bang on.
Valves and cam chain set few weeks ago. Something jus didn't seem rite, checked Advance and all looked good, weight returned back, not hanging up or anything.Soi take another look at timing since setting it few weeks ago and notice when bike idling at approx 1200/1300 the advance is way advance almost half to full advance mark, but if I throttle up to 3000 rpm it wont go past the full advance mark so all good there.It appears that the new advance springs are way to weak and even at 1200/1300 rpm the weights were opening and over advancing at idle.I had to snip a bit of each weight to hold the advance from opening at idle.Everthing seems ok now BUT
im concerned that I could have potentially done engine damage running it that way for a few weeks not knowing.I did notice bit of smoke coming out of pipes that I haven't had before when firing up motor.
Any thoughts on this? I really hate this mechanical advance setup, wish Mikes/xs650 Direct would sell the unit separate.

Well, as you found out, the idle will creep on you a bit if the springs are too weak or the weights too heavy... but other than that, as long as it was smooth... no it won't hurt anything. At least I've never heard of anything adverse happening...

Back