New bike, metal in oil filter?

Godric

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys n gals, I picked up my first bike yesterday, an 81 xs650 for 300 which I have dubbed Godric, or "God-ruler". Dude said it was parked back in 2014 but ran well when he parked it. So I start cleaning all the important stuff, oil pan, filters, gas tank, carburetors, etc. And I noticed metal shavings in the gas tank. They're relatively small, and it only knocks when I use the electric start, not the kickstart. Maybe the starter is the culprit? I replaced the oil pan filter and he started right up

Attachments

• 20190805_145702.jpg
    20190805_145702.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 281
Hey guys n gals, I picked up my first bike yesterday, an 81 xs650 for 300 which I have dubbed Godric, or "God-ruler". Dude said it was parked back in 2014 but ran well when he parked it. So I start cleaning all the important stuff, oil pan, filters, gas tank, carburetors, etc. And I noticed metal shavings in the gas tank. They're relatively small, and it only knocks when I use the electric start, not the kickstart. Maybe the starter is the culprit? I replaced the oil pan filter and he started right up
Congrats on getting your first XS650 ! and welcome to the website.
The shavings in the side screen shown in your photo might actually have originated from the factory, back in 1981, if the previous owners did not clean it. I suggest you not worry at all about the shavings, and check the screen again in 100 miles.

Enjoy !

No need to dump the oil in 100 miles, just let it cool off and pull the screen.
We do find such shavings deep in cavities of the engine cases, after many thousands of miles. They seem to come from the original manufacturing of the cases.

Welcome to the party, Godric! Wow! A runner for $300.00! Bargain! :thumbsup: Please send us more pictures of the whole bike (we like pictures, and we're nosy!). Knocking, from the e-start? Maybe you could shoot a quick video of a typical start-up, so we can hear what's going on. Those e-starts are kinda clunky/noisy by nature, so the noises you're getting could be normal (?). Again, welcome, and congrats! :bike:

As mentioned, what you've found is pretty normal. It may also be a long time accumulation. Most of these poor bikes didn't receive much love (maintenance) during their lives. The oil wasn't changed often enough, and the filters were cleaned even less. Personally, I pull and clean the filters at every oil change. Speaking of which, you've discovered the crude screen filters. Because of them, it's best to change the oil often, like every 1000 to 1500 miles. Also keep an eye on the lower sump filter. It has a tendency to rupture. To help avoid that, take it easy and keep the revs down until the bike warms a bit and the cold thick oil thins some.

Back