New Bike

My nephew had a low miles 77, when I bought my 81. We ran them, of course. The 81 pulled away a bit in the 1st half of each gear, then the 77 would catch up and start to edge by. Next gear same thing. It was a wash.

Ok, made a bit of progress today. Got the harness swapped out, replaced the right side switches. Looks too good now, makes the rest of the bike look not so good. Swapped the battery out of the 75. It starts and runs ok now.
It runs a bit lean, no air filters right now, may pull the carbs off and go through tem again, fuel runs out of right one, I think it's a sticky float.
The 83 harness has a ground wire rum from the right side switches into headlight bucket to harness ground. 82 don't have this ground. Starter push button wouldn't work till I added one.
Oiling the clutch cable as we talk. Straightened the steel elbow out a bit to ease lever pull a bit. Took out worm, cleaned and lubed.
Once the cable gets oil the full length I'll put it back on and adjust the clutch.
With that, air filters and a wheel/tire swap from the 81, a tear down and cleaning of the front brakes is needed to, then it's test ride time.
If the test ride proves ok, I'll put on new tires. I was thinking of the Shinko 712's. The are not expensive but from what I hear not a bad tire.
I plan on reselling this bike and don't really want to invest to much money. Just get it running and safe to ride, let the next owner do the pretty.
Leo

Back