new coil wiring?

madjap

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
OK, I bought a new coil for my '72 xs650 chopper project. It's a single coil with two plug wires AND has three lead attachments. Two lead attachments are marked (-) and one attachment is marked (+). Since I'm still running stock dual points I'm assuming I just run each point wire to the negative (-) lead attachments and my hot 'ignition switch' wire to the positive (+) then connect my two condensers to the (-) negative leads, right?

OK, I bought a new coil for my '72 xs650 chopper project. It's a single coil with two plug wires AND has three lead attachments. Two lead attachments are marked (-) and one attachment is marked (+). Since I'm still running stock dual points I'm assuming I just run each point wire to the negative (-) lead attachments and my hot 'ignition switch' wire to the positive (+) then connect my two condensers to the (-) negative leads, right?

You need to give more information. What brand/name is the coil? Does the single coil unit contain one coil or 2 coils? How many ohms are the coil(s)?

Single coils only have 2 terminals, so its strange that you have one with 3 primary leads. The picture of that coil at Drag Specialties shows only 2 primary terminals.

There is no + and - terminals. You can connect any way you choose. Battery positive (ignition switch) to one side of the coil. Connect the 2 sets of points to the other side of the coil. Connect just one capacitor to the same place that you wired the points.

5 ohms is fine for points ignition.

then I picked the wrong picture... It looks JUST like that coil EXCEPT it has three inputs. One positive, two negative.

I don't have it in hand yet or I would. But it's on ebay under drag specialties and those numbers... Maybe when I get it WONT have three terminals, but it sure shows all three in the pic. And the seller assured me it had Three terminals...

full

Back