New exhaust...hot air from one muffler cold on the other

JP50515

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys so i've been tackling a gremlin of mine since my rebuild. My right cylinder doesn't fire a consistent put put put put put like the left on idle. It has some hicups and coughs and if i lean the mixture too much it backfires. The left side is also significantly louder than the right. I installed new mufflers yesterday and discovered that if I feel the air coming out the mufflers the left side is hot but the right is cold.

Could this be a bad plug on that side?

Here's a pic of the setup: note i'm running uni filters now but its been the same either way.

full

Sounds like you could have a float issue or the carbs need to be synced. They should sound and feel the same on both sides and I would suspect that one is getting more gas than the other.

Yeah but if I richen up that side with the fuel/air mixture screw it doesn't change the pressure coming out. The left side is produce more pressure than the right....i'm hoping its not a compression issue

Carefully eliminate all the variables what remains will be the problem. Don't hope on compression, test it. Don't guess if you have spark get an inline spark tester, watch. If it's points are they timed correctly? It always helps us to know which carbs and ignition you have.

This is a cheap to try trick. stick a rag or your shoe over the offending muffler outlet, while it's idling, does the cylinder come to life? If so something has your idle mixture lean, blocked passage wrong or blocked jet, low float level. air leaks at throttle shafts or intake.

might be worth doing a compression test on both cylinders just to eliminate a leaky or sticking valve etc and also checking the valve clearances . ?

i had similar problem and i had a ton diaphramn but also like gggGary said i also synched mine when i changed the diaphrams and got rid of the cold exhaust but im still running lean on that cylinder according to my plugs but it runs much better than before

I had this same exact issue. Take you carbs apart and bake the shit out of them. I had old gas gunked up in the carb. The bike ran like a champ after that. Obviously you will need to resync them. If you are super carefull, a good bench sync will be good enough.

Dang thanks for the revive on this one guys but I actually figured this one out back in august. Bad sync on the carbs.

Back