Post a Photo of your Dog

A little more digging and I find that the 1st dam for this project was built and the initial power plant did go online the last day of October 1929! Guess that was not a good day be starting a new expansion of a power project! Apparently the bigger dam needed for the completion of this project was never built. The local power company does still have some control over the lakes but not sure if there will ever be an extension of the project.
Interesting history, Ken.

As I understand any of these projects from the one I posted the information on from 1929 right up to the most recent ones is the fact they use excess energy that is available when demand is low and then use it when demand is high.

Not at all unlike a solar panel charging a battery on a sunny day while no one is home then the battery powers things at night once you get back home for the evening. Same thing would apply to wind powered generation.

The project from 1929 would have been using the excess power from the hydro plants at Niagara during the night to fill up the reservoir and then if there was a peak demand at another time or simply a loss of power due to some other reason this water could then be used as a back-up source of power.

I believe this principle is also applicable to other forms of generation like diesel or even nuclear. In place of having a large power source that can handle 100% of the peak load you substitute a somewhat smaller power source then when demand drops keep it running at near full load to create the back-up source of power when it is needed. Many forms of power work more efficient when run at or near rater capacity as opposed to trying to "throttle back" a peak demand capable source to low demand output.

Just read a bit more on the system Greyandridin posted the link for and see that in the matter of 90 seconds it can add 300 mega watts in to the grid!

Last edited:
Gentlemen it is not a barn but a storage for Lawn Movers and Garden Tools
Much have Changed --- when the first picture was taken it was entirely different to take Pictures

1985.png

Not so good Pictures either the first is from 1985 or 1986

Second July 2020
2020.png

180 miles Now after a Low Cost rebuild.

I bought it cheap crashed on the left side about 800 US dollars. It stopped on my way home not charging
Alternator damaged . In those days a new alternator costed 350 US and you could not buy separate rotor and stator.
I got i rewound a 100 US ..Not easy to find one that wanted the job did it .but it was always weak.
I Figured if it runs one -- two years its OK. Not putting in money .Lots of electrical Problems and own solutions because original parts was the only thing available and no internet.
The years went on and when i got noise from the engine I bought another same model 15 years ago 1300 Dollars
stored the first one .
Its the first engine and second frame -- Crank was twisted a bit due to the crash probably that's why there was vibrations.
Outer left crank bearing was worn and one Camshaft bearing was so loose that it was strange that it still was there
Original Pistons Original Cylinders.
Gearbox fine ..But I replaced all bearings and the first lower gears. Minor marks.
The shop said it is not new but it is OK with heads and valves.
The cam was replaced to a better one from a salvage yard.
I have never skipped Oil changes and never skipped a bit of warm up .But it was " Rock and Roll Riding "
the first years ON / OFF . The plan was not to keep it in the first place.
In the 70 ies many friends could not afford anything but bikes that seldom ran .British bikes .. So problems was always a part of the hobby.

Lost the front Wheel once in the gravel on a sharp left turn and ended lying Down
Not even a Bruise. Had leather gear on.
One car skipped a stop sign ran straight out in front of me. On my way home from the Beach
That was close. I dont think there was room for a newspaper between the bumper
and the Motorbikes front wheel..Maxed out the brakes No time to downshift
Engine stalled in the intersection. I looked around the driver disappeared.
Looked back 5 cars standing in a Zig Zag pattern because they also had to step on the brakes.
2 horses once was running home to the stable across the road. They are quick to stop. So I missed those to.

There are bikes today with better brakes ...better handling .. ..more Power I have one.
But I do not Believe there are bikes out there with that much " Character " .
35 years is not Expensive either ::never had anything at the shop expect for inspection
Parts was / is available .. If needed. But in recent years less parts to higher prices. On the net
Its a bit strange the same bike almost for 35 years .( nearly ) And no plan whatsoever to sell it for any price.
I hope I can keep it running a bit more. Ill go with the same plan as in the beginning Just another year and it is OK.

Gentlemen it is not a barn but a storage for Lawn Movers and Garden Tools
Much have Changed --- when the first picture was taken it was entirely different to take Pictures

View attachment 171993
Not so good Pictures either the first is from 1985 or 1986

Second July 2020
View attachment 171994

180 miles Now after a Low Cost rebuild.

I bought it cheap crashed on the left side about 800 US dollars. It stopped on my way home not charging
Alternator damaged . In those days a new alternator costed 350 US and you could not buy separate rotor and stator.
I got i rewound a 100 US ..Not easy to find one that wanted the job did it .but it was always weak.
I Figured if it runs one -- two years its OK. Not putting in money .Lots of electrical Problems and own solutions because original parts was the only thing available and no internet.
The years went on and when i got noise from the engine I bought another same model 15 years ago 1300 Dollars
stored the first one .
Its the first engine and second frame -- Crank was twisted a bit due to the crash probably that's why there was vibrations.
Outer left crank bearing was worn and one Camshaft bearing was so loose that it was strange that it still was there
Original Pistons Original Cylinders.
Gearbox fine ..But I replaced all bearings and the first lower gears. Minor marks.
The shop said it is not new but it is OK with heads and valves.
The cam was replaced to a better one from a salvage yard.
I have never skipped Oil changes and never skipped a bit of warm up .But it was " Rock and Roll Riding "
the first years ON / OFF . The plan was not to keep it in the first place.
In the 70 ies many friends could not afford anything but bikes that seldom ran .British bikes .. So problems was always a part of the hobby.

Lost the front Wheel once in the gravel on a sharp left turn and ended lying Down
Not even a Bruise. Had leather gear on.
One car skipped a stop sign ran straight out in front of me. On my way home from the Beach
That was close. I dont think there was room for a newspaper between the bumper
and the Motorbikes front wheel..Maxed out the brakes No time to downshift
Engine stalled in the intersection. I looked around the driver disappeared.
Looked back 5 cars standing in a Zig Zag pattern because they also had to step on the brakes.
2 horses once was running home to the stable across the road. They are quick to stop. So I missed those to.

There are bikes today with better brakes ...better handling .. ..more Power I have one.
But I do not Believe there are bikes out there with that much " Character " .
35 years is not Expensive either ::never had anything at the shop expect for inspection
Parts was / is available .. If needed. But in recent years less parts to higher prices. On the net
Its a bit strange the same bike almost for 35 years .( nearly ) And no plan whatsoever to sell it for any price.
I hope I can keep it running a bit more. Ill go with the same plan as in the beginning Just another year and it is OK.

Just speakin' for myself... don't matter it's not a barn... love the backstory. :D

This is not a barn, either, but I stumbled on a motorcycle museum coming south of Newburgh, NY a week or two ago, Its called Motorcyclepedia, a new modern facility with 500 bikes and a website. What stopped me in my tracks was what was under the sign. It was a Yamaha. It had telltale signs of neglect. A tree grew around it. Well, I thought that was unique, until I just googled "motorcycles with trees growing around them" and found more like it. Next to the motorcycle was a couple of motorcycle bales, each holding about a dozen bikes and gear that were put in an auto crusher. The place is closed, like most museums, due to the pandemic, and no one was around, so I took a peek at what was in the parking lot. I'm glad I took some pictures, because what's in the parking lot was not in the website. You've all heard of Evil Knevil. But what about Thunder Klunder and his travelling stunt show featuring,"The Wall of Death"? It is the big reinforced wooden structure, which I assume is similar to something I've seen at Palisades Amusement Park and a TV show from the 60's called "That's Incredible" That was called "The Globe of Death", a steel mesh globe which one or more motorcyclists ride inside, relying on centrifugal force to keep them on the walls. Incidentally all this can be googled. There were three fatalities in the Globe from the 1940's to the 1990's. Like the Wall, they originated in Germany in the 1920's. The Steilwandshow originally owned the Wall. They were popular at Octoberfests and Biergarten events along with circuses and carnivals.

Attachments

• Motorcyclepedia1.jpg
    Motorcyclepedia1.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Motorcyclepedia2.jpg
    Motorcyclepedia2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 178
  • Motorcyclepedia3.jpg
    Motorcyclepedia3.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 189
  • Motorcyclepedia6.jpg
    Motorcyclepedia6.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Motorcyclepedia7.jpg
    Motorcyclepedia7.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Motorcyclepedia8.jpg
    Motorcyclepedia8.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Motorcyclepedia9.jpg
    Motorcyclepedia9.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 167
  • Motorcyclepedia10.jpg
    Motorcyclepedia10.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 165
  • Motorcyclepedia11.jpg
    Motorcyclepedia11.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 155
  • Motorcyclepedia13.jpg
    Motorcyclepedia13.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Motorcyclepedia14.jpg
    Motorcyclepedia14.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Motorcyclepedia15.jpg
    Motorcyclepedia15.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Motcyclepedia16.jpg
    Motcyclepedia16.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
It was a beautiful day in the Catskills Mountains Region today.

High atop West Kill Mountain there is a Farm on Route 52.
As I parked on the side of the road, I was imagining what it must be like to work the fields with such a view.

WestKill1.jpg

WestKill2.jpg

Just then a tractor approached behind me; it was the farmer himself.
My opportunity to pose him this inquiry !

WestKill3.jpg

"You take nice care of your barn," I said.
"Mm, yup" was the reply.

Farmers have a reputation for being hard workers.
Not so much as conversationalists.

It was a beautiful day in the Catskills Mountains Region today.

High atop West Kill Mountain there is a Farm on Route 52.
As I parked on the side of the road, I was imagining what it must be like to work the fields with such a view.

View attachment 172034

View attachment 172035

Just then a tractor approached behind me; it was the farmer himself.
My opportunity to pose him this inquiry !

View attachment 172036

"You take nice care of your barn," I said.
"Mm, yup" was the reply.

Farmers have a reputation for being hard workers.
Not so much as conversationalists.

Very nice photos, another perfect day. Mmm yup! :cool:

No barn or motorcycle even but Shadow lives (well eats) in a barn? Took this last night, guess I'm proud of it...
View attachment 172042
What a poser!
We need another new Game: "No Barn, No Garage, No XS650, and No Darn Motorcycle in fact, but It's still a Great Photo!" :laugh2: ;)

This building is about 15 miles from me just outside Sidmouth. I rode out this evening and it was so sunny with the sun right behind the building I had to stand next to it to get anything at all. In any case it's on a pathless country lane, on a bend, so I thought standing in the road with my phone, taking snaps was not a wise move. I thought it to be a barn but I've included a photo from googlemaps to show what it really looks like in landscape and its on the corner of "Ice House Lane" so maybe its an ice house. I'm claiming it as a barn until someone proves otherwise.

:)

thumbnail_image9.jpg

thumbnail_image7.jpg

thumbnail_image5.jpg

thumbnail_image4.jpg

thumbnail_image3.jpg

Capture.JPG

I'm not sure what its made out of but it looks like "cob" mixed with seashells, with a redbrick facing. Thatched roof.

Dave

This building is about 15 miles from me just outside Sidmouth. I rode out this evening and it was so sunny with the sun right behind the building I had to stand next to it to get anything at all. In any case it's on a pathless country lane, on a bend, so I thought standing in the road with my phone, taking snaps was not a wise move. I thought it to be a barn but I've included a photo from googlemaps to show what it really looks like in landscape and its on the corner of "Ice House Lane" so maybe its an ice house. I'm claiming it as a barn until someone proves otherwise.

View attachment 172062

View attachment 172063

View attachment 172064

View attachment 172065

View attachment 172066

View attachment 172067

I'm not sure what its made out of but it looks like "cob" mixed with seashells, with a redbrick facing. Thatched roof.

Dave
It's a superb building !
Seashells !
There is nothing like it here in the States.

No barn or motorcycle even but Shadow lives (well eats) in a barn? Took this last night, guess I'm proud of it...
View attachment 172042
What a poser!

Why Gary, that is suitable for framing! Who doesn’t love a nice horse? :thumbsup:

View attachment 172062

View attachment 172063

View attachment 172064

View attachment 172065

View attachment 172066

View attachment 172067

Dave

Dave, that is a cool building, and quite old by the looks of it! Nice! :)

It's a superb building !
Seashells !
It's a superb building !
Seashells !
This is a picture of a Spanish fort in St. Augustine, Fla. The walls are made of a mix of seashells and sand. When invading British ships fired on the fort, the cannonballs just stuck in the walls, which I believe were 5 ft thick. The Spanish troops occupying the fort were able to retrieve the cannonballs and send them back to the British ships.

Attachments

• Florida Coastline Trip 027.JPG
    Florida Coastline Trip 027.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Back