Post a Photo of your Dog

Ooh hunting bikes counts?
Down a dirt road in Iowa, I knew a 1/4 mile off THIS place was the one I was looking for and that it was going to be an adventure.
Weathervaneman came out of that back door shotgun first and started pumping shells at the sky....
road trip 001.jpg
Do you see him?

road trip 005.jpg
road trip 004.jpg
He was nice guy got a tour of the joint including his falcons. Vietnam vet, life was difficult.

road trip 002.jpg

This was in 2014, I just looked and his website is still up
http://weathervaneman.com/v-web/gallery/album01/DSCN9820

Attachments

• road trip 001.jpg
    road trip 001.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 196
Ooh hunting bikes counts?
Down a dirt road in Iowa, I knew a 1/4 mile off THIS place was the one I was looking for and that it was going to be an adventure.
Weathervaneman came out of that back door shotgun first and started pumping shells at the sky....
View attachment 168342Do you see him?

View attachment 168343 View attachment 168344 He was nice guy got a tour of the joint including his falcons. Vietnam vet, life was difficult.

View attachment 168346
This was in 2014, I just looked and his website is still up
http://weathervaneman.com/v-web/gallery/album01/DSCN9820

Yikes! He greets visitors by shooting his shotgun in the air? :yikes: Was that an XS1?

Yikes! He greets visitors by shooting his shotgun in the air? :yikes: Was that an XS1?
yupper both counts #400ish off the line.
He said he was shooting pigeons to feed his hawks, but it was mainly to see if I would react or run off. I just waited a bit and said how ya doin'? He wasn't shooting at ME.... We got along fine. :geek:
Edit.
In spite of the good story.... my memory or wanting to tell a good tale may have biased the telling, he came out brandishing a shot gun ready to fire up in the air, but I canna 'member fersher if shots were actually fired. I know the tale's been told here before, but you think I can find it? nope. The iowa stop was on day two of a run that included Minnesota and North Dakota and had me back home with TWO XS1's and another XS650 stuffed in the van.
bikes in va 001.jpg

Last edited:
yupper both counts #400ish off the line.
He said he was shooting pigeons to feed his hawks, but it was mainly to see if I would react or run off. I just waited a bit and said how ya doin'? He wasn't shooting at ME.... We got along fine. :geek:
Edit.
In spite of the good story.... my memory or wanting to tell a good tale may have biased the telling, he came out brandishing a shot gun ready to fire up in the air, but I canna 'member fersher if shots were actually fired. I know the tale's been told here before, but you think I can find it? nope. The iowa stop was on day two of a run that included Minnesota and North Dakota and had me back home with TWO XS1's and another XS650 stuffed in the van.
View attachment 168349
I'm thinkin' your post belongs in the previous game..;)
http://www.xs650.com/threads/new-game-old-garage-photo-w-your-xs.50099/

Yes, Old Barns are disappearing, falling in within themselves :(
One of the good reasons to photograph them before they are gone and replaced by aluminum pole barns.
Yes sad to see those old barns go to ruin. The one in the top picture in my post used to have a big two story house in front of it. House sat for about three years empty then one day a few weeks back my wife went by it on the way to do some shopping and the house was gone. Not just knocked down but only some fresh straw covering the ground where house used to be! There is a Farmall C sitting in the yard the other side of the barn my front wheel is pointing at, a bit rusty but they keep a can over the exhaust so it might be salvageable.

The second barn with the sheet metal peeling off the roof was being used up until about two years ago and even worse is the fact the couple who owned that farm had only about ten years back tore down the old farm house and put in a very nice manufactured one story house and put up a good size cow barn just down the hill from the house. Well only a few years latter we noticed the cow barn no longer had any cows and the house looked like no one was living in it. The guys wife actually works where I did but I just did not feel right asking what happened. I know the farm was bought by one of the larger farms in the area. I was talking to one of the guys who bought the place and he mentioned they wanted to sell the house but were having problems with the town not allowing them to sub-divide the property of the house from the property of the farm. Only good thing is they do keep the lawn mowed fairly good so it doesn't look completely abandoned.

Figgered y'all were getting tired of the green bike so switched. :whistle:
rode about 60 miles of township roads and some dirt tracks with lots of "photo stops.
barn on Hatchery rd.jpg

I had taken this shot while on the mail route in January of 2011
hatchery road 2011.jpg

20200531_133847.jpg
20200531_124603_001.jpg
20200531_125148.jpg
20200531_132212_001.jpg

Windmills and silos close enough for a barn thread? Perfect sun and upper 60's day to be puttering around on the bike.With the leaves all full now, saw a few that will have to wait for late Fall or next Spring.

Last edited:
rode about 60 miles of township roads and some dirt tracks with lots of "photo stops.

Really nice photos Gary! I love seeing what it looks like in other people’s neck of the woods. Getting off of the XS1 and hopping on Madness must be a real study in contrasts. :laugh2:

View attachment 168656
I had taken this shot while on the mail route in January of 2011
View attachment 168668
View attachment 168657 View attachment 168658 View attachment 168659 View attachment 168660
Windmills and silos close enough for a barn thread? Perfect sun and upper 60's day to be puttering around on the bike.With the leaves all full now, saw a few that will have to wait for late Fall or next Spring.
Gary,
You're photos are presenting quite a challenge to the membership: Can you possibly top these pics ?

Believe me, I will try. :D

A lot of that old barn wood is being harvested and made into wood products like large tables, bars, floors etc...So not all of that old wood is left to rot or compost.

s

A lot of that old barn wood is being harvested and made into wood products like large tables, bars, floors etc...So not all of that old wood is left to rot or compost.s
Yes, recycling old barn wood is a big business out here in the Northeast. In fact, some barn owners have their intact barns torn down, dismantled for the wood cuz it is worth much more that way. Rather sad. This happened down the street from me this spring.

Couple things on the barns
Insurance companies run screaming from old barns, they basically won't insure a property with a "not maintained" barn.
look carefully; the mailroute photo, and the one taken today are of the same barn 11 years later. :(
Yes scrappers will lie cheat n steal to get the good parts of a barn.. There's a lot of barn wood scam artists. All the good parts and the contractor disappear, the owner is left with a big mess.
They work more with large industrial buildings but a company here in town is a national fixture in timber frame houses built from recycled beams.
http://www.glenvilletimberwrights.com/ He lives just up the road from us. The original Glenville was an early Baraboo area water powered milling operation. Much of his wood comes from large factories being torn down in Chicago. The wood floor systems to support old industrial machinery are impressive. Dad and I walked though the local woolen mill just before they started scrapping the machinery in the late sixties. Sparks from a cutting torch finished the job....

Back