New Game: Old Garage Photo w/your XS

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
TwoMany has suggested a cool new game: Post a photo (here) of your XS in front of an interesting old Garage or Service Station.

Bonus Point (fun points) System:

Bonus points if an XS is in the picture.
Bonus points if the old filling station/garage is still pumping gas.
Bonus points if you can get a picture of the owner in his garage.

Let the game begin !

Blenheim 006.5.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my first entry for this game.

This is Jim Thompson's Garage in Marietta, NY. , with my '76, on which I recently added a cafe seat. He has been working on cars for 47 years, specializing in engine rebuilding. He has a full machine shop, has 2 service bays, one lift, does NYS Inspections, and you will see a "Late Model Modified" circle track race car in the bay. He raced it back in the days of Richie Evans at Oswego Speedway, NY, and other tracks (see my "Open Wheel Racing Thread). It is currently a street car, licensed for the road, would you believe. He is always adding to his collection of auto and railroad memorabilia. Thats Jim in the blue service shirt; he doesn't smile, much, but he's friendly, and very talkative.

'76.Brad.Jim 026.JPG

'76.Brad.Jim 014.JPG

'76.Brad.Jim 019.JPG

'76.Brad.Jim 015.JPG
This is him "back in the day" as a driver, and the "Orange Monster" race car:
'76.Brad.Jim 031.JPG

Attachments

• '76.Brad.Jim 008.JPG
    '76.Brad.Jim 008.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 305
  • '76.Brad.Jim 023.JPG
    '76.Brad.Jim 023.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
OK, so these Bonus Points obviously need some sort of quantification, to be meaningful.
So, here's the system:

Post a picture of some sort of motorcycle owned by you at an old Service Station/ Garage: 1 point
Post a picture of your XS650 at the same, +10 points.
Post the pic with the owner: + 2 points
The garage clearly still pumps gas: +1 point

A garage doesn't need to have pumps, but has to be open to the public providing mechanical service (now or in the past), not some guy's home garage.

And there needs to be some sort of parameters, an endpoint, a goal:
It going to be November 5, 2017, which is Guy Fawkes Night, a holiday in New Zealand.
What better day to wrap up the contest ?

Last edited:
This one doesn't count. Pics were taken last year.
Knuckleheads Speed Shop.
They remodeled an abandoned service station.

KnuckleHeadsShop01.jpg KnuckleHeadsShop03.jpg KnuckleHeadsShop02.jpg

Some calamity happened. The place closed up earlier this year...

So far, zero points for anybody.
Wrenchjohns has one point (the Standard Oil pic) , and I have 13.

Mailman could repost his excellent photo in the Kowalski thread here for a point.

Garages in The Game arent required to have pumps (this is a service station, not a gas station game), but if they do, and are operational (a working gas station), its a bonus. I got one in mind, but its an hour 1/2 away, but I'll get there, eventually.

Wonder how Ron Bayless is doing in his search?

Last edited:
I guess I'll make the North Blenheim, NY Kowalski pic with my FJR my second entry. One point.

I just now remembered something from my past, eyeballing that front window; back when I was a working person, my fellow employees noticed, with irritation, that I didn't give a sh*t about Christmas celebrations. So, one year, they duct-taped a big sign on my office door, saying, "Bah Humbug".

I like this guy, Kowalski. I respect people who don't bow down to tradition.

Blenheim 006.JPG

THIS is definitely NOT a traditional service station decoration:

Blenheim 002.75.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it. How recent do the pics need to be?
SInce no parameters on when the pics were taken was mentioned by 2M or me, originally, I would say it doesn't matter.
However, I DO like Ron Bayless's spirit, grabbing the camera, and getting on his Venture.

Done!
IMG_1305.JPG

The hardest part for me is , living in the big modern metropolis that is Phoenix, nothing old lasts long. It's either just torn down or repurposed into a convenience or liqueur store. All the really cool old stations are several hundred miles away in towns that time forgot. That's what is cool about the North Eastern states, a lot of history and a lot of small towns.

Done!
View attachment 103964

The hardest part for me is , living in the big modern metropolis that is Phoenix, nothing old lasts long. It's either just torn down or repurposed into a convenience or liqueur store. All the really cool old stations are several hundred miles away in towns that time forgot. That's what is cool about the North Eastern states, a lot of history and a lot of small towns.
Glad you reposted it. That garage has such great character, great patina, great subject matter.
You might have to go out into the country and actually do a visual search.. I was out in the Miata last night, heading to a Bill Kirchen (rockabilly guitarist, "Hod Rod Lincoln") concert in Norwich, and discovered some garages I hadn't noticed, before.

One of them simply had a hand-written sign saying, "We Fix Dents".

This is Brad Wirth's shop in Skaneateles, NY. He does general automotive service, with a personal touch, and a smile. Last year he stopped what he was working on to shorten and flare the brake line to my '76, pictured. "No charge", he said. The building is 1940's. Check out the period lighting at the top.

'76.Brad.Jim 039.JPG

'76.Brad.Jim 042.JPG

'76.Brad.Jim 041.JPG

'76.Brad.Jim 044.JPG

Back