New Game: Old Garage Photo w/your XS

It isn’t very often that a total stranger brings up the inevitable occurrence of their death with me. As a people, I think we tend to steer away from such thoughts.

For reasons I will explain, I cannot reveal the small town outside of which I was told by a friend of an old, abandoned service station/garage that still exists. I’ve done some searching, to no avail.

And then on a Sunday a couple weeks ago on the return from a classic car and bike show I was looking for gas, and realized I had just passed a newly-built station. So, the search was on for a turn-off in which I could wheel my ’76 XS around to head back. It was a rough corner lot of loose stones, demanding careful handling.

And suddenly there it was, right in front of me; the crumbling remnants of a ghostly Texaco station, in all of its rusty glory.

Merlin 018.JPG

Merlin 008.JPG

Merlin 014.JPG

Merlin 012.JPG

There was just one Texaco star left on the façade.

Merlin 010.JPG

And one of the gas pumps which likely once stood out in front.

Merlin 021.JPG

The interior is piled up high with junk and old parts.
It was a dusty and silent reminder of our automotive past.

Merlin 015.JPG

But then, peering inside, I was just about able through the grimy windows to make out a muscle car from the 60’s up on a lift, inside. Or was I just imagining it? I rapped on the window to see if I could rouse the ghosts of this old garage.

“C’mon in”, I heard from a weak voice, inside. ( ! )

The side door wasn’t locked, so in I went, to find a ’66 Chevy Chevelle SS up in the air, and one florescent light on in the back.

bill.jpeg

And Bill May, the owner, seated amongst his tools and the clutter of his 60 years of auto mechanics.

bill3.jpeg

He was guarded, but then very talkative once I explained my presence. In fact, he told me about his history in a seamless manner over the course of the next hour and a half. The building was constructed in 1953, and purchased by his father two years later. Bill took over operations in the late 50’s pumping gas and building engines. Eventually, he specialized in race engines, particularly for open wheel circle track race cars.

In 1985, he began to close down some of the services, taking the pumps out and such, but continued taking in some engine work until about 10 years ago. He is now in his 80’s and has physical limitations, but he goes out to the garage for about 8 hours every day to do a bit of wrenching on the Chevelle, which he takes to car shows, and fiddles with a ham radio.

Bill’s favorite subject to talk about was racing piston ring selection and fitting. After about 20 minutes of a lecture on stainless steel rings, I spied an old KD ring filing tool up on the pegboard in front of him. (top, circled).

bill4.jpeg

Bill said that he no longer could reach it, as his arms had limited movement. With his permission, I reached up high to grab the tool, and he proceeded to give me an exhaustive in-service training on this specialty tool.

KD 005.JPG

Yes, you guessed it; that’s my workbench it is on. It took quite a while, but Bill eventually let me buy it from him. We were both happy with the exchange, and it looks great on my newest tool board. Garage Art at its finest.

KD 006.JPG

He was fine with having something written about him online, but not in identifying his location.

On the way out, I was admiring his grand old Hobart welder. Bill quipped, “If you want it, I’ll give you the name of the executor of my Will.”

'Dude! Your propensity for chronicling and photographing the most bizarre places is second to none! You rock! :rock: That was an amazing tale and even better, bringing some of Bill May's exploits back from the brink of obscurity? These are the stories that never get "ink" anywhere else. Keep up the great work, 'Dude. :bow:

'Dude! Your propensity for chronicling and photographing the most bizarre places is second to none! You rock! :rock: That was an amazing tale and even better, bringing some of Bill May's exploits back from the brink of obscurity? These are the stories that never get "ink" anywhere else. Keep up the great work, 'Dude. :bow:
Thanks Tebo !
Maybe someday I will chronicle your work here at XS650.com
Looking forward to your next post about your XS build !

Jeff you missed your calling. You should’ve been a writer, your human interest stories are really terrific. Far more interesting than the garages and old stores youve visited , are the interesting folks that still inhabit these places. The local historians and self named “mayors” you’ve met along the way. You must have some inner radar that leads you to these individuals, I also love the way you manage to come away with some small object, a touchstone to remind you of your visit and a cool new addition to your growing garage art collection!
Keep up the good work, your articles are always entertaining!

Great story and pics Dude, very enjoyable.
I hope to be able to show some pics of old garage's Down Under once I get my '79 going.
Thank you, Meddy. Yes, please contribute to the search for old garages; lets get this thread international, again !...:)

Jeff you missed your calling. You should’ve been a writer,
Your generous comments are much appreciated, Bob !
Actually, I was a writer back when I was working in my field, with people. But although my reports were about human beings and their lives, these reports were a bit constrained by the circumstance that they were meant to be read by shrinks, lawyers and judges, and quoted in court rooms.
It is a joy to now be unshackled to tell tales of guys like Bill May.

....and Kowalski.
006.small.jpg

Last edited:
A little warmer today, high 40's, low 50's. Got back to this one where my camera died a week or so ago.

A while back I was chattin' with a guy riding a real nice Electra Glide I think. He was wearing his colours, member of the London Chapter of BACA. (Bikers Against Child Abuse). One of the many things they do is give a young victim of bullying a group ride to school. Bullying seems to stop.
His road name, 'BEAR', which is pretty fitting. Anywho, he was telling me he's an auto mechanic at this shop and I finally got some pics.

I've been trying to get the history on this renovated garage with no luck so far. I think it was originally a 'Supertest' station.

IMG_20181014_143344.jpg

IMG_20181014_143405.jpg IMG_20181014_143419.jpg IMG_20181014_143429.jpg IMG_20181014_143439.jpg IMG_20181014_143632.jpg

Then headed north out into the country for about three hours. Slim pickin' today. Nothing but cheap tin face lifts on these old garages, but I stopped, so I figured what the heck, I'm getting a photo......

IMG_20181014_160130.jpg

IMG_20181014_161908.jpg

As the saying goes, hopefully, better luck next time.

I've been trying to get the history on this renovated garage with no luck so far
The job of discerning a reproduction from the genuine article while roaming through an antique show or flea market is becoming increasingly challenging, as the market is rapidly being absolutely flooded with "repops". Perhaps the same goes for garages. "Old"? I don't know about this one....maybe. It sure looks nice, as they say.
I'd like to see more of that trailer on the left. An Airstream??
It would be worthwhile to stop by the garage on a working day and ask to speak to the owner/operator, look him in the eye, and inquire......... Investigate....:)

Hey Robin, notice the Byron Automotive building doesn't have an office. The office would have been in the left bay. That bay's door is different (and larger) than the other two. The concrete pad has also been cut away. Guessing the larger bay is needed for some todays huge vehicles.

Gonna have to get to the bottom of this!
I suggest you bring your magnifying glass to examine the pumps out in front.
When I go to flea markets, I bring the $1.99 Chinese item I bought on EBay, just to highlight the irony (95% of the reproductions of American History are made in China).
upload_2018-10-14_22-48-10.jpeg

I hope that you discover that the garage is, in fact, an original.

Hey Robin, notice the Byron Automotive building doesn't have an office. The office would have been in the left bay. That bay's door is different (and larger) than the other two. The concrete pad has also been cut away. Guessing the larger bay is needed for some todays huge vehicles.
Interesting supposition, but I don't think that the width of American vehicles within this time span has changed significantly.
e.g.:
'55 Chevy Belair width: 72"
2018 Impala 73"
2018 Corvette 73"

Here's my latest guess. The wider door on the left was installed to fill the width of the space left when the office windows and door were removed to turn the space into a vehicle bay. The Airsteam is used for the office. As to the authenticity of the pumps.......?

Dude, I take your point for many car; the average 4-door. But compare the average truck from the 40-50s (the time frame of the garage) to the trucks and SUVs today. Family garages have increased as well. The single detached garages of the 40-50s resemble the smaller bay doors on the garage. I think Robin is right about filling in the space left by the office windows and door. Ockham's Razor.

Back