New Game: Old Garage Photo w/your XS

Nice historical narrative, Bob !
You are bringing Arizona to life, for me.
And as always, your photos are a great compliment.
I look forward to more.

Thanks for the kind words. You and Gary set the bar high for bringing local history to life. It inspired me to dig a little deeper. I hope to find other interesting places in the days to come.

Really nice write up Bob.

I wonder why the store isn't on the registry? Is the building still in use? If not, I'll be there are some interesting artifacts inside!

Pete

I've been thinking about that. The Stapely descendants still remain a prominent and influential force on the Arizona scene. His great great grandson was a longtime politician here. I'll bet the family is aware of this building and still owns it. He had other really large brick and mortar stores in downtown Phoenix and Mesa that have been restored and repurposed.

Nuts! I forgot to include the SG in the pics. I saw this old Mobil station and had to stop. Seems the shop in the back repairs cars and / or restores old cars. It's in Miami AZ. An old mining town.
20170916_154440.jpg
20170916_154350.jpg
20170916_154001.jpg

Attachments

• 20170916_154150.jpg
    20170916_154150.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 20170916_154212.jpg
    20170916_154212.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 227
Update:
Gil at Strong's Collision in Madison, Ny, has closed his doors even before The Game has ended. :(

001.JPG

003-jpg.104354

Just a couple weeks left, guys and gals.
The deadline is November 5, 2017, which is Guy Fawkes Night, a holiday in New Zealand.

Some favorites of mine (there are many):

dscn7853-jpg.104213

memorial-day-trip-08-9-jpg.104000

MM and Danial cover Phoenix area. I cover Tucson area I've been wanting to shoot this place since I first saw this thread. Unlike them I do not know anything about this place other than what you see. Close up one can see where the 2 pumps were. I can easily see visual pumps would be there back in the day
20171028_163317.jpg
20171028_163335.jpg
20171028_163424.jpg
. Like Mike and Frank are always looking for.

Cool !
The architecture in the SouthWest seems unique to the area.
Kinda has an Aztec sensibility.

Welcome to The Game.

Tom Grover's Mechanical Service on Rt 12 in Sherburne, NY.

005.JPG

I stopped in to say hello yesterday, and he was closed, but he asked his wife to keep an eye on the grandson so that he could provide a history of his very old structure. Tom has been a mechanic all his life, but 25 years ago wanted to set up a garage of his own. He bought a dilapidated dairy barn which dates back to the 1800's it appears. He gave me an extended tour.

006.JPG

Tom's friends all urged him to knock down the barn, as it would be too much to restore it, they said.

010.JPG

At first he painted and repaired it, then recently put up the metal siding.

He heats the place with a vintage wood stove.

009.JPG

An old piano is in the office, behind him, and his son, Mike, has a drum set and electric guitars, there, with Jimi Hendrix and Santana posters, along with a Kustom amp. Some of you will remember them.

odQIwwvg2oPEkXCugLLGl0T7Y0ogEa6XJEE1EdD9l5M4MMFSyQ.jpg

Tom does routine car work, but he most loves restoring classics. He keeps them a bit rough. His current project is an old Chevy panel wagon.

007.JPG

In an outbuilding in the back is a cool rat rod Tom built:

003.JPG

Adjoining Tom's shop is his son's business, Gearhead Cycles:

018.JPG

Mike does general bike work, and seems to specialize in Harleys.
His personal niche is doing ground-up customs for shows. Check out his HD in the foreground:

014.JPG

I sold Mike one of my very rough XS's last year, a '78, and he built this hardtail which placed 3rd in a show in North Carolina. He was completing it at the last minute, and broke a piston ring, but found that a ring for a Sportster 883 fit OK, with a gap adjustment .All the bikes were required to be driven 12 miles to compete, and his drove well, he said.

78.jpg

Last edited:
MM and Danial cover Phoenix area. I cover Tucson area I've been wanting to shoot this place since I first saw this thread. Unlike them I do not know anything about this place other than what you see. Close up one can see where the 2 pumps were. I can easily see visual pumps would be there back in the dayView attachment 108111 View attachment 108112 View attachment 108113 . Like Mike and Frank are always looking for.

That's a great looking old building! I tried doing some research on it myself, but couldn't come up with anything.
Great find!

I've been coming to this place for years, but never really thought too much about it. I was always just passing through. This little hamburger joint that I enjoy, Big Earls Greasy Eats really is an old gas station! I always kinda thought they were just going for a 50's drive in kind of vibe. But I found something I never luck out on, historical evidence!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

This was originally a Standard Oil gas station built in the 30's in nearby Phoenix, transported to its current location in 1952. And it remained a functional gas station until the late 1980's.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

In 2002 Kim Brennan decided to retire from her life as a stripper, and took her tip money and bought the old gas station and built the restaurant you see today. A true American success story!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

In 2008 they even filmed a Hollywood movie there. The movies name was Jolene.
image.jpeg

Not only that, but Max Pete is waiting inside to greet you!
image.jpeg

Back