New Guy Here...

Here's a teaser...

View attachment 106476

Unfortunately... yes, it looks every bit as silly in person:( On the bright side, it has 3 things going for it. 1. I got it for a song. 2. It ran before I started tearing it down. And... 3. Every f&#cking piece of it is original except for the seat and pipes. I bought it to chop it, but the more I looked at her, the more I realized a restore is completely doable.
Jim.
A king and queen seat ! I love it. Maybe a bit "too much", styling-wise, but its fun seeing one on an XS.
And that paint job ! Right out of the '70s. With the right helmet, maybe you could make it work for you :laugh2:

helmet.jpg

Nice picture Jim - looks like you've got yourself a ballgame!

I agree - Resto-mod is the way to go. Make it an old bike that works like a new bike but rides better, looks better and is yours. No matter what you do to it - the bikes looks and sound will still mark it as an XS650 - which will always be cool.

Here's a teaser...
View attachment 106476
Unfortunately... yes, it looks every bit as silly in person:( On the bright side, it has 3 things going for it. 1. I got it for a song. 2. It ran before I started tearing it down. And... 3. Every f&#cking piece of it is original except for the seat and pipes. I bought it to chop it, but the more I looked at her, the more I realized a restore is completely doable.
Jim.
Hi Jim and welcome,
and what C-word would that be? Clown? Chump? And we have a member that signs himself Chimp.
About the bike:-
1) lucky you.
2) if it ran you shouldn't have messed with it.
3) Good thinking! Us old folks need rear suspension.
And yeah, lose the stock bars, they are an ergonomic disaster. And the KQHB seat.
Another ergonomic disaster and can you say ucking fugly?
Fred's recommended upgrades:-
Small front master cylinder/stainless lines front brake.
Tapered roller headraces.
17/32 sprocket swap.
One more thing, check the tires age before flinging the bike into corners.

Last edited:
There was a guy on here some weeks ago who had taken what looked like a running and pretty complete 77 Standard and chopped it into a "f@cking sick / awesome / bitchin' / radical (choose one) hardtail - which he was selling because his new job required him to commute 25 miles and he couldn't on the hard tail.

To each his/her own, but I have to ask...what's the point in owning a bike you cannot ride more than 10-15 miles without pain and discomfort.....?

PS - I agree with Fred - if you cannot be certain that the bike was on the road within the last couple of years, plunk some new tires on it.

Hi Jim and welcome,
and what C-word would that be? Clown? Chump? And we have a member that signs himself Chimp.
About the bike:-
1) lucky you.
2) if it ran you shouldn't have messed with it.
3) Good thinking! Us old folks need rear suspension.
And yeah, lose the stock bars, they are an ergonomic disaster. And the KQHB seat.
Another ergonomic disaster and can you say ucking fugly?
Fred's recommended upgrades:-
Small front master cylinder/stainless lines front brake.
Tapered roller headraces.
17/32 sprocket swap.
One more thing, check the tires age before flinging the bike into corners.
Thanks for the suggestions Fred. Came with new tires. Still got nubs on the tread. It ran great, but leaked oil from damn near every seal and gasket on it. Not acceptable, it has to come apart. As for the other suggestions, follow the new thread and all will become obvious. Thanks again.
Jim.

Back