New guy intro

TomD

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've posted a couple times but never had time to do a proper intro. I'm Tom from STL. I'm a millwright/welder at a local cement plant. I recently purchased a 76 XS650 from Patches, a fellow forum member. It was a frame, motor and clear title. I'm building a bobber out of it and ill post some progress picks. I mostly just lurk and search for info. I want to thank all the members who post helpful info on here. I got a 7 mile drive to work so I wanted a less expensive old bike I could ride and wrench on. I've got parts from everywhere. Tcbros hardtail, pamco, Pma. Milesxs , monstercraftsman, eBay, Craigslist, and other forum members. image.jpg

I guess I can only do one pic at a time with iPhone. I'll try to figure it out later

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 167
To much weight for the card table lift lol. Picked up the tins off Craigslist from a dude that looked like machete. Cool dude tho. Front back and tank for a hundy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 184
Put the pamco in and set the time off the battery. Runs like a champ. Needs baffles. And I'll tackle the Pma next. That 7" headlight is coming off. Who wants it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 204
Hey sinking thanks man. Your bike looks awesome. Love those bars. I just saw a 75 on Craigslist in Alton.

Oh my, '79 Special II alloy rims ..... those are rare. I hope you plan on respoking and polishing them instead of just painting them black or something. On the mounting of your electrics "bag" or box, don't forget to take into account room for your pod filters. Many don't and then have trouble fitting them in. You may need to move the "bag" back and down a bit. Love your ratchet by the way. I have practically all of them from McMaster-Carr (1/4" drive, long and short 3/8", long and short 1/2", all in the black finish). The 1/4" and the long 3/8" are just plain "things of beauty" as far as ratchets go. Here's the 1/4" (I paint my tools for easier I.D. on the job) .....

BitHolder.jpg

Good eye spotting the ratchet. I wasn't aware of the rareness of the wheels, I don't have the funds for spoke and polish work. I would trade them off to someone who does though, just like a set of spoke rims same size in trade, I ordered new tires already. You where right about the electric can btw.

I'd kill a man right now for that back wheel, I can trade a 18 inch rim with a clean hub and new bearings. I'll even spoke it with new stainless spokes.

Hey jdizon, this is a pic from the eBay purchase. I put a sylvania bulb in it. It's a nice light. Just a little bigger than I wanted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 142
Now I can live with this headlight. I read the carb guide three times. Gonna tackle it. Sync, jets, wow. Anybody got a 76 with similar set up? I'll gladly take some advice. Looks like I'm gonna try one up pilots and one and then two up mains for starters. Feel free to yell at me if I'm going the wrong direction. This is just what I came up with from what I've read. I know they are lean and out of sync. Thanks all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 154
Well I tore it down and gave it a rattle can job. I was gonna do it up nice, but the weather is too nice. I want to ride now. It will give me something to do in the winter. Just got to get it inspected. Thanks again to everyone who posts info on this site, priceless.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 163
Back