New Guy

jtziggy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been looking at the site for information this last week and decided I had better introduce myself. I am the proud owner of this lovely XS. I have been wanting to do a Tracker build for a long time. I built a RD350 about 30+ years ago (Tracker style) before that I always had a bike, then life happened. Since I have owned a 1980 Sturgis but thats about it until now.
I picked this up for 350.00 and there is not a clean piece on it. The wiring is a mess, it has 34,000 miles on the speedometer, its been through 3 states and 7 garages in the last 15 years (not running), and has been molested by god knows how many shade tree mechanics.
Aint she purdy:D
So as you can see I am going to need alot of help and I think this is the right place. I cant wait to really get into it. I have to leave to go to work so I will be back in the morning.
JT

Attachments

• IMG_1921.jpg
    IMG_1921.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1929.jpg
    IMG_1929.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 296
Welcome JTZ! Great site with TONS of good information, just ALWAYS ALWAYS search the forums on the topics you have questions about. It just makes it a lot quicker and you won't invoke the WRATH when you are directed to 7 pages on the same topic! I doubt you'll find a more knowledgeable group to float amongst than these folks... Me? I hardtailed my 72 and am trying to finish it up, but ALL styles are welcome in here! Good luck and ENJOY!

Welcome new member!
Nice set of multi spoke wheels!

Hi JT and welcome,
looking at your bargain:-
The cylindrical foam pods are the best type of aftermarket pods to use so someone done somethin' right, even if it was by accident.
But nobody swapped out the ergonomically disastrous rototiller bars; ah well.
You'll find different list members with different opinions, for instance, lakeview likes your megaspoked wire wheels and I reckon they're ucking fugly.
The mid 70s deep groove aluminum rim wire wheels (they'll swap right on and the 110/90-18 rear tire size makes for a tad nimbler handling) are far prettier and the 7 spoke cast wheels (also a straight swap) are a lot easier to keep clean and will run tubeless tires.
The choices are yours.

Back