New guy

analogmax

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Been lurking for a couple of weeks trying to learn some things. I know very little about motorcycles but have been wanting to learn. I have spent most of my time on air cooled VW's. I picked up a 650 special that's been sitting for quite a while but is supposed to only need a new ignition switch, we will see. Should be a fun project.
20191230_153611.jpg
20191230_153240.jpg

Welcome to our corner of the WW Web.
I too, spent years off and on Classic VW's. These bikes are way easier on your body. No more laying on the ground to adjust valves and just 4, not 8. OK 2 carbs. Unless your VW was dual carbed. Buy or download a factory maintenance manual. Clymers, Chiltons and Haynes go so far. LOL I still have my stack of VW manuals. I've owned my '80 SG for 11 yrs now. I've done a LOT of wrenching on her. A LOT of riding too. I enjoy every minute of each.

Yes welcome aboard!
From tech a good get to know your bike read. http://www.xs650.com/threads/367
The easiest way to find/fix problems on a new to you bike is to do a thorough maintenance of the whole bike. There is MORE than ONE problem or item needing maintenance.
A new battery should be an expected purchase. But TROUBLESHOOT the electrics don't go by what a PO said. Ignition switches can be rebuilt by an average ability mechanic. Here's one thread. http://www.xs650.com/threads/ignition-switch-overhaul.46712/
The 81 wiring diagram, also from tech.
81_-xs650h_sh-png.116689

Your bike looks to be an 81 with a gas tank from a 78 or 79,

Welcome to our corner of the WW Web.
I too, spent years off and on Classic VW's. These bikes are way easier on your body. No more laying on the ground to adjust valves and just 4, not 8. OK 2 carbs. Unless your VW was dual carbed. Buy or download a factory maintenance manual. Clymers, Chiltons and Haynes go so far. LOL I still have my stack of VW manuals. I've owned my '80 SG for 11 yrs now. I've done a LOT of wrenching on her. A LOT of riding too. I enjoy every minute of each.
Thanks. It will be nice to be able to sit up to work on it. I picked up a Clymers and Haynes and have been reading a bit in the garage section.

Welcome to the party! If you've been "lurking" for a while, you'll know this is the greatest site, with the best , most knowledgeable people on this (or any other) planet! Just ask anything, and you'll get an answer! There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid mistakes (for not asking!). A great place for you to start, is reading everything in the "Tech" section, especially articles pertaining to "waking up" a bike that's been "sitting for quite a while". If it's been more than 5 years, one thing that oughta be high on the priority list is replacing the tires, no matter how good you think they look. Save yourself the headaches, and take the wheels to a motorcycle shop (the nearest Yamaha dealer would be good), and have them install/balance the new tires. While they're doing that, you can go through all the other stuff. Take lots of pictures, and keep us updated on your progress (we're nosy! :wink2: ) Good luck, cheers, and Happy New Year!!! :cheers:

Gary. Don’t the 81 models have an oil level port on the right crank case cover?
Sounds right.
I was thinking I could see the drain fitting on the bottom of the float bowls first found in 81. There's some bitza there for sure..
Bitza this, bitza that LOL

Yes welcome aboard!
From tech a good get to know your bike read. http://www.xs650.com/threads/367
The easiest way to find/fix problems on a new to you bike is to do a thorough maintenance of the whole bike. There is MORE than ONE problem or item needing maintenance.
A new battery should be an expected purchase. But TROUBLESHOOT the electrics don't go by what a PO said. Ignition switches can be rebuilt by an average ability mechanic. Here's one thread. http://www.xs650.com/threads/ignition-switch-overhaul.46712/
The 81 wiring diagram, also from tech.
81_-xs650h_sh-png.116689

Your bike looks to be an 81 with a gas tank from a 78 or 79,

I'm not really sure about the year, it didn't have a title when I got it. I found a manufacture date on the neck of 6/79 and did a search of the vin and kind of left it at my best guess from there. Thanks for the links and the diagram. It's been sitting for quite a while so I am planning to go through everything and see what I find

I'm not really sure about the year, it didn't have a title when I got it. I found a manufacture date on the neck of 6/79 and did a search of the vin and kind of left it at my best guess from there. Thanks for the links and the diagram. It's been sitting for quite a while so I am planning to go through everything and see what I find

Hi 'max and welcome,
the photos and the frame date stamp say it's a 1980 model.
Look under the camshaft end covers for zero wiring and under the alternator cover for a big black ignition trigger unit to check for the stock ignition.
Note that the stock ignition's "other half" is attached underneath the battery box.
And on a note of personal preference, lose the buckhorn handlebars, eh? Or you could join the "Buckhorn Gang"

OK, one more confirmation then that yours is an '80 model. Do have a look inside the carbs before trying to start it. Chance are good they're all gummed up. The '80 model also has brass floats. They can be eaten through by gas varnish if sitting gummed up for too long.

OK, one more confirmation then that yours is an '80 model. Do have a look inside the carbs before trying to start it. Chance are good they're all gummed up. The '80 model also has brass floats. They can be eaten through by gas varnish if sitting gummed up for too long.

Carb rebuild is definately in the plan. I saw someone on the site that does them and was planning on checking with him when the time comes.

Carb rebuilds are pretty straightforward. Basically, they boil down to disassembly, cleaning, adjustments (setting float heights) reassembling with new gaskets (jets only if absolutely required, like if they're corroded/pitted - some replacements aren't as good as the originals), and checking screw settings (take note how many "turns" it takes to remove, so you can put them back to the same spot). Do one at a time, so you have the other one to see how it goes back together. And use caution (including personal protective equipment) with what solvents you use. Some of them will eat rubber and/or plastic parts. Some people here have used Simple Green (nice, mild and organic) in an ultrasonic cleaner with good results. Mine were thoroughly crudded up, so I used an automotive-type "dip" (chemically nasty stuff!). They're not shiny, but they are clean!

If you're careful during disassembly, many times you can re-use the gaskets. I try to and usually do. The original gaskets are very robust and very good. Really, the only gasket you've got on the BS34 carbs is the float bowl one. There are several o-rings that might need replacing but we've managed to figure out the sizes needed. Here's info on those and lots more replacement stuff .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/the-gr...ut-bolt-sizes-used-on-the-xs650-thread.51957/

If you're careful during disassembly, many times you can re-use the gaskets. I try to and usually do. The original gaskets are very robust and very good. Really, the only gasket you've got on the BS34 carbs is the float bowl one. There are several o-rings that might need replacing but we've managed to figure out the sizes needed. Here's info on those and lots more replacement stuff .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/the-gr...ut-bolt-sizes-used-on-the-xs650-thread.51957/
Thanks!

Back