new head lamp

JAGUARGOD

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello ALL! Have what I hope is a simple question about a new headlamp. Bought a lamp (cant remember where) and it has 4 wires. Yellow Green Blue and White. Connected everything the way it came apart. Except the white wire. I have low beam or high beam cant get both. What is the white wire for and where does it come into play?? I am cross eyed staring at this ...can someone enlighten me?? thanks in advance....

oh ...somehow I figured out the turn sigs....proud of that! ha ha...

Usually a headlight has three wires, high beam, low beam and ground. If it uses a three prong connector, like the stock one, Looking at the rear of the bulb with two prongs on the sides and the third on top the left one is ground, top is low beam and right is high beam.
You may have to disassemble the headlight enough to see the back of the bulb itself.
On yours the fourth wire may be power to a second bulb. My 74 Kawasaki H1 500 had one. It was used in Europe as a city light. It lit up enough so others could see you in town with out blinding other drivers. Here in the states it could be used as a daytime running light.
Leo

not sure this will help...such a jumble of wires....hope the pic gets there...

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 276
so...dont follow colors?? I can get the lamp to light up but get nothing with switch on low beam...if I put green to green and yellow to yellow...the add the white I get high beam...remove it and I get low...with the switch on high. I so confused1

It looks like the blue and white wire are hooked together, like a lamp cord or speaker wire, if so they probably are the hot and ground for a second bulb.
If so then the other two wires are both hot, one for high beam, one for low and ground through the case.
As I mentioned you may have to disassemble the headlight from the housing and look inside to see where the wires go.
Leo

Show us a picture of the headlight opened up and the plug at the bulb. Is there a high beam indicator light on the new headlight housing? ........that could be your 4th wire.

Scott

if there is a city light in the shell my guess will be

blue is high, to bike yellow
white is low to bike green
green is ground, to bike black
red is the city bulb (ignore)

If you have a city light or park light your fixture should look something like the picture.
Jumper from the battery. Ground to negative. Then from the positive to each wire in turn.
That should tell you which wire is hi, which is low and which wire is your city light. And don't be a wuss by shining it on the wall or floor. LOOK right at it. You'll know when you find the high beam.

Last two sentences were tongue in cheek if you didn't recognize

Attachments

• headlight 4 wire.jpg
    headlight 4 wire.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 346
OK! Got it! Best idea was opening the lamp and looking at the connector! Thank you Leo!
The 4th wire was for the indicator. I assumed at first that all the color wires should match....all is together and working thanks to you folks!
Now for a trailer to get inspected. Might take the chance and ride to station. see how she runs , been since last summer.

thanks ALL! Kev.

Back