New here, need some help!!

Pamco Pete changed his wiring diagram to the coil and his pamco units. Mikes XS never did and se the old drawing

Read through This thread. May find some help
http://www.xs650.com/threads/boyer-and-pamco-ignition.46859/

coilwiring-copy-jpg.185484

Pamco Pete changed his wiring diagram to the coil and his pamco units. Mikes XS never did and se the old drawing

Read through This thread. May find some help
http://www.xs650.com/threads/boyer-and-pamco-ignition.46859/

coilwiring-copy-jpg.185484

Thanks skull! I've actually found that thread before or one similar and that's what I used for all my tests etc. Everything is hooked up right and fine and ready to go, passes all voltage know etc... Not sure what the heck the issue is

So if I get this right you have a Coil with sound effects --- that is something that needs to be checked I have never heard of that

There instructions please recheck
https://www.mikesxs.net/blog/xscharge-xs650-standard-ignition-installation/

With attention to electric connections ..the ground wire ..Must be solid and clean
Please check the black one Frame Ground

AND
This is a system that uses the stock advance

Please Note:

• It is recommended that the advance rod and centrifugal unit be serviced prior to installing this system.
If that advance rod and centrifugal unit is at the wrong position or not working it may well be the reason for the kickback the
Ignition is stuck in the advanced Position
I would consider to lock it in the retarded position with a rubber band or string or Duct tape or something :While testing and
Fault Finding the Sound in the Coil first.

View attachment 191674

Yeah those are the instructions I used to install. Everything is set up as needed and all proper voltage is there too.. and the coil is more of a magnetic click not necessarily coming from the coil itself. So when I turn it on ot will make a click sound and i noticed it's the coil basically becoming a magnet and clicking against the coil bracket. I know it sounds so weird and I can't upload a video because i can't get it to do it again but when it makes that sound it's the only time that my bike almost starts (as in I get kickback or smoke out the exhaust valve etc). Without that click it does nothing whatsoever. But i ran all of the coil tests and it's fine and measuring normal etc

Thanks skull! I've actually found that thread before or one similar and that's what I used for all my tests etc. Everything is hooked up right and fine and ready to go, passes all voltage know etc... Not sure what the heck the issue is

Somewhere in that thread it describes how to static test for spark. Static testing for spark means you should be able to set the timing off that.

Yeah those are the instructions I used to install. Everything is set up as needed and all proper voltage is there too.. and the coil is more of a magnetic click not necessarily coming from the coil itself. So when I turn it on ot will make a click sound and i noticed it's the coil basically becoming a magnet and clicking against the coil bracket. I know it sounds so weird and I can't upload a video because i can't get it to do it again but when it makes that sound it's the only time that my bike almost starts (as in I get kickback or smoke out the exhaust valve etc). Without that click it does nothing whatsoever. But i ran all of the coil tests and it's fine and measuring normal etc

Yes the coil has windings that makes an magnetic field.
By this it sounds as if the coil is moving around --> becoming a magnet and clicking against the coil bracket
There is the sound effect
And there is the Functionality .gone
That is something to work on. It sounds as the coil is sometimes getting Power and then again not.

IF you are sure there is around 12 V at the Coil upside the red in fex # 241. Every time it is turned on Fine .. other wise fix that.
Then that Voltage should also go in to the Ignition Module and there can be a fault in there
but assuming not Out of that module comes a black wire please ensure that there actually is a solid Ground connection this is perhaps the most common fault with any ignition on these bikes.
I would consider to pull that black ground Point all the way to the battery Minus with a separate wire to be sure.
And then lock the advance unit in the retarded position.
Narrowing it down to have +12 V and have Ground then we reevaluate.
Depending on what happens.
And if there are better advice in the post Mr Skull gives .# 244.use that

Is there's way to search threads on here??
Oh, yes - seek and ye shall find.

There's the Search function, you learn to put a basic search term then maybe refine with more words to narrow down the results. But you should also look at the Tech section, where there's loads of useful information categorized by functional areas such as engine, electrics, etc. This is where you might find the answers you seek on ignition?

Yes the coil has windings that makes an magnetic field.
By this it sounds as if the coil is moving around --> becoming a magnet and clicking against the coil bracket
There is the sound effect
And there is the Functionality .gone
That is something to work on. It sounds as the coil is sometimes getting Power and then again not.

IF you are sure there is around 12 V at the Coil upside the red in fex # 241. Every time it is turned on Fine .. other wise fix that.
Then that Voltage should also go in to the Ignition Module and there can be a fault in there
but assuming not Out of that module comes a black wire please ensure that there actually is a solid Ground connection this is perhaps the most common fault with any ignition on these bikes.
I would consider to pull that black ground Point all the way to the battery Minus with a separate wire to be sure.
And then lock the advance unit in the retarded position.
Narrowing it down to have +12 V and have Ground then we reevaluate.
Depending on what happens.
And if there are better advice in the post Mr Skull gives .# 244.use that

Yeah basically I can tell it's working when the coil clicks like a magnet and when it doesn't. But it mainly doesn't rather than does I'm not sure why. The voltage is the same all around and when it's clicking or not. I put it to complete retard last night I can move the ground wire but it's on the frame bolts so the only other place I could move it would be the neg on batt

Oh, yes - seek and ye shall find.

There's the Search function, you learn to put a basic search term then maybe refine with more words to narrow down the results. But you should also look at the Tech section, where there's loads of useful information categorized by functional areas such as engine, electrics, etc. This is where you might find the answers you seek on ignition?

I did not know this!! I've searched but did not get down that deep into it. Thank you! When I'm on a thread, say the one 650skull posted, is there a way to search in that thread also? There's like 222 posts in that one and I can't seem to find the static timing

I don't think there is a good way to static time a Pamco. That static spark test is just that. It's a way to check and see if the Pamco is firing the plugs. I think you disconnect the advance rod from the ATU so you can spin it and the attached Pamco rotor by hand. When the magnet in the rotor passes over the pick-up on the Pamco plate, it should spark. Since you're not turning the whole motor over, you won't be able to check the timing marks on the alternator.

I don't think there is a good way to static time a Pamco. That static spark test is just that. It's a way to check and see if the Pamco is firing the plugs. I think you disconnect the advance rod from the ATU so you can spin it and the attached Pamco rotor by hand. When the magnet in the rotor passes over the pick-up on the Pamco plate, it should spark. Since you're not turning the whole motor over, you won't be able to check the timing marks on the alternator.

This sounds confusing lol. I emailed mikesxs and told them the issue. They said if I've officially checked the instructions and tried over and over to rewire and fix it etc then I can send it back to them and they will run tests on it and if it's faulty they will replace it. If not they'll send it back. I think I'm gonna do that, and in the meantime put the new one on and if that one is actually faulty I'll see if they can just refund me since I already got another. But a part of me is still thinking maybe I just screwed up I don't wanna look stupid sending it back and it be fine, but I really don't know what else to fix I mean seriously everything is new and fresh and clean and everything lol

. . . is there a way to search in that thread also? There's like 222 posts in that one and I can't seem to find the static timing

Yes, when you use the Search function, you can check search this thread only or search this forum only and you can search for postings by a named member.

You can also get to the main search page from the search bar at top right. Click on it like you're going to enter info and a "More" button appears. Clicking that will take you to the main search page I screen shot above.

Untitledz.png

Well guys here's an update I got a new electronic ignition because that was the last thing I could think of was maybe I blew it. That's not the issue. I'm officially selling the bike I put way more money into it than I wanted to the previous owner obviously lied about what was wrong with it before and I just don't have the time or the patience anymore to mess with it. I'm extremely disappointed but at this point I hate the stupid thing and I just want it out of my sight lol. There's not a motorcycle shop anywhere near my area at all So I can't bring it anywhere either, which was going to be my last option.. But I could probably at least get my money back since almost everything is brand new on the bike I have some aftermarket parts like a fake oil tank and stuff, The carbs are rebuilt everything's completely clean The wiring's completely new.. So I should at least make my money back for it.

But overall I want to thank you guys for all of your help and patience! I'm super bummed but it just wasn't meant to be with this bike I guess lol

Sorry to hear this
It s your choice ..But I think we can do this if we try it in a step wise fashion with pictures upload
and Description of what happens. within 2 weeks.
Perhaps video.
Does it kick back with the new ignition ?

Back