new ignition system

Jp34

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hi , can anybody advise best option for new ignition system. I have looked at the pamco range on mikes etc but am confused by so many. I don,t mind whether I change whole system or not just need to pick best option, why so many?? thanks

we need more info on your bike to start with dif years need dif parts to instal ie... the 80 and up needs to have bushing installed in the cam for the advance rod.

Jp34,

Here is a table showing all the combinations of PAMCO's available from MikesXS:

mikesxs kits.jpg

1. Start by choosing Adv rod or not. You will need the advance rod for '80 to '83 US models.
2. Select which coil you want. Basic 17-6822 or high performance 17-6903.
3. Then, choose either the E-Advancer or the mechanical advancer or none if you already have the mechanical advancer.
4. If you have the advance rod and mechanical advancer and a local source for a suitable coil, then you can use the very basic and least expensive original PAMCO 14-0900.

Post your selection here and we will help you decide if that is the best one for you.

the bike is a 77 d model, I reckon it is completely standard. it wets the plug on trying to start on starter so needs more kick. as I say I,m not looking a cheap fix just advice on best solution and reliability.

I'd say the 14-0900 or better yet the 14-0901 is the better with new coil and wires.but check to make sure it's not a carb problem first, the pamco with new coil has hotter spark than the old points and coils

hi, dirty dog recommends the14-0901, is that the way to go? can I get this in Canada as I,m going there in two weeks for a short stay and it would save any hassle shipping to Ireland. cheers

Hey Jp,
I found this thread, and I'm considering the exact same upgrade. Chasing electric issues in a stock 77D, and my stock coils are suspect so I'm considering investing in the 14-0901 kit while I'm screwing around. Just wondering if you went through with this and what your experience was.

Best, and keep wrenching.

Hey Jp,
I found this thread, and I'm considering the exact same upgrade. Chasing electric issues in a stock 77D, and my stock coils are suspect so I'm considering investing in the 14-0901 kit while I'm screwing around. Just wondering if you went through with this and what your experience was.

Best, and keep wrenching.
fit a Boyer Bransden KIT00103 (COIL 00004/6 REQUIRED)electronic advance ignition system and forget it . ;) total reliability
http://www.boyerbransden.com/productinfo.html

Pamcopete has a new Pamco with the advance built into it so there is no extra advance box. Go to his site for more information or look at mikes XS.

A link to Petes thread advising of his new system
http://www.xs650.com/threads/pamco-10th-anniversary-new-product.50925/

This is for information purposes only and not to be confused as a negative response to others who are advancing or advocating other alternative products

I have no issue with your product or its reliability or even if you push the product.....But ......When you keep posting and re-posting after some one else posts an alternative you then seem to be seen as very desperate to make sure that it is your product that is kept in the forefront of the threads.

I guess cost could be a contributing factor when comparing a Pamco and Powerdynamo.......$200 against $553

you had posted your powerdynamo alternative...............Post #9, #11, #12 #15

Peanut posted a Boyer alternative...............Post #13.

I then posted an update on the pamco..............post #14

So no i didn't post your product as an alternative because you had already done so................

I guess you will have to discuss with Pete about the accusation of his product being incomplete and not a finished product..............

Are you sure it's the ignition that's the problem?
Are the plugs wet from fuel or oil?
Wet from fuel can indicate carb issues, wet from oil can be rings or valve seals, possible bad head gasket.
Leo

I'm not aware of any problems with the Pamco itself. Most reported problems can be traced back to inept user installs. I'm sure any of the mentioned systems wouldn't work if installed wrong. As far as all the Pamco changes go, I think that is just a natural refinement of the product over time. The circuitry got more compact, a separate add-on electronic advance option was added, then an all-in-one unit was introduced. Personally, I like all the options.

There was nothing wrong with the old original Pamcos. The changes weren't implemented because they were burning out left and right or something. In fact, I have a very early unit. Pete sent it to me for review when he first came out with them. It's performed very well and hasn't missed a beat in nearly 12 years.

The Powerdynamo can't hope to be competitive with the other ignition systems available until they come out with an IGNITION ONLY kit. Not many will pay triple the cost for a stator, rotor, plus ignition when all they really want or need is the ignition.

5twins I forget sometime that cheap is what most want, I have always gone the other way. I posted the piston difference between my JE and the Tiawan and china ones, I would rather pay for the quality.Will cheap work probably, but I don't know never go that way.

Hooser removed several posts...........
I thought I was over the limit, LOL Really I just don't care what you or any one else use. It not worth us going at it. I left just the post one post for letting him know there is other units out there.

Back