new ignition system

It all comes down to price for me and I have used many PAMCO setups and have use for over 35 years BOYER setups and I agree it comes down to install and the skill of the installer. Both are priced right and both company's stand behind there product. Never used any high dollar ignition because people didn't want to spend that on a build. They may be great and easy to install but building a $3000 bike customer wants money spent on other things .Most people don't have enough just to get it on the road. Me PAMCO or BOYER PMA and be done with your upgrade. Go ride in the wind and enjoy life.
Rich

Grief with the Pamco-PMA combination has been common and well documented. In my experience of postmortems on parts bikes and others' motorcycles, the OE advance governor has been a source of more catastrophic engine failures than any other single component, so I'll leave the mechanical advance Pamco out of the discussion. Bottom line: I don't see a big difference in price between a Powerdynamo that gives you precise crank driven ignition with adjustable advance curve, and a POS Chiwanese PMA with Pamco auto advance or Boyer. But go ahead, guys, spend your money on bad boy bling, pinch pennies on the stuff that counts, then post your tales of woe. We're here for ya. Some of us will even sympathize.

It all comes down to price for me and I have used many PAMCO setups and have use for over 35 years BOYER setups and I agree it comes down to install and the skill of the installer. Both are priced right and both company's stand behind there product. Never used any high dollar ignition because people didn't want to spend that on a build. They may be great and easy to install but building a $3000 bike customer wants money spent on other things .Most people don't have enough just to get it on the road. Me PAMCO or BOYER PMA and be done with your upgrade. Go ride in the wind and enjoy life.
Rich
Rich thanks. I run into that when trying to sell a bike, put a $300 carb kit and then a $600.00 ignition just priced the average bobber/chopper guy right out of the market. I do believe these are the 2 main issue guys have with old bike of any kind. When I was riding my84 softail put Morris mag $1300 and newer CV carb and never had a problem again.

Grief with the Pamco-PMA combination has been common and well documented. In my experience of postmortems on parts bikes and others' motorcycles, the OE advance governor has been a source of more catastrophic engine failures than any other single component, so I'll leave the mechanical advance Pamco out of the discussion. Bottom line: I don't see a big difference in price between a Powerdynamo that gives you precise crank driven ignition with adjustable advance curve, and a POS Chiwanese PMA with Pamco auto advance or Boyer. But go ahead, guys, spend your money on bad boy bling, pinch pennies on the stuff that counts, then post your tales of woe. We're here for ya. Some of us will even sympathize.
Yes griz that is what I find , they will put the latest non issue part on , I see it all the time on the forum they come for carb and ignition help. If they would just take care of those issue you now have a bike that is fun to ride.

Gary, there are those who want a motorcycle to ride, and those who want a motorcycle as a fashion accessory. I keep trying to tell the fashionistas that a top of the line Gucci purse would be cheaper. They seem to take offense at that suggestion for some reason.

Gary, there are those who want a motorcycle to ride, and those who want a motorcycle as a fashion accessory. I keep trying to tell the fashionistas that a top of the line Gucci purse would be cheaper. They seem to take offense at that suggestion for some reason.
Funny!

Griz I agree with you that most people spend there money on looks than performance. The days of the $60,000 builds are way over on a street bike and I see many top name bikes going for way less than they did 8 years ago. My buddy in South Carolina who was one of my partners in the 80's has 15 top dollar Harley's that he didn't pay over $10,000 for any of them. If they want $20,000 he offers $10,000 and he gets them. This is why I changed directions and gave away all my inventory to my younger cousin and cut out my Drag Race Motor program. I pick and choose my repair work and just going to build a couple rolling chassis and some complete bikes this year and post them for sale. People don't have the money to invest the bank into a 35 year old bike. I am old and need to in joy what I got left LOL
Rich

very sensible decision Rich . Most of us don't take a step back and see the whole picture until it is too late and we are suffering with stress, depression and various other related ailments.
Quality of life is everything, we don't get a second run at it.
I'm 3 years off 70 and I'm wondering every day now how many more years I'll be able to ride my bike and scooter Carpe Diem
Johnny

PAMCO does not make or sell a mechanical advance. The basic PAMCO is designed to work with the factory mechanical advance that is an integral part of the bike from the factory.
PAMCO does not make a or sell a PMA. All versions of the PAMCO will work with a properly installed PMA but running with no battery is not recommended.

It never did make sense to Me to fork out big bucks for an upgraded ignition system and PMA, and then be too cheap or too lazy to maintain a battery in it so that it will run properly.

Didn't mean to imply that you sold or even recommended use of PMA systems with your ignitions, Pete. Quite the opposite: the grief has been produced by guys who ignore your good advice on the subject.

Didn't mean to imply that you sold or even recommended use of PMA systems with your ignitions, Pete. Quite the opposite: the grief has been produced by guys who ignore your good advice on the subject.
Yes, I know that. I was just clarifying the syntax of your post.

Back