new member, looking for TX650 info

whiskeywulvz666

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey, just registered here. looking for info on a 73 TX650. helping a buddy with a basket case he bought. hardtail frame and a couple boxes of parts. the stock frontend is missing some parts( nut for the top tree, axle cap, tube caps) Is there somewhere to get these online or what other frontends will bolt up to this frame? while looking thru the site earlier I saw some nice TX's. Seems crazy that i'd never heard of the TX650 until my buddy brought it over.

It sounds like your buddy got a hold of someone's unfinished bobber project. The front end may very well be from a later model or an entirely different bike. The big difference in 650 forks is the tube diameter. Early models like the '73 used 34mm fork tubes. '77 and later 650s used 35mm fork tubes. That's the first thing I would check. The parts you need will be different depending on what forks you have, top caps in particular.

Thanks guys. i checked around the interwebs and this forum and figured out it is a 72 XS-2. And yes it was an unfinished chop-bob project( 2 diff frontends, 3 front wheels, 3 sets of bars, etc.) ok so what XS650 parts will interchange on the XS-2. it came with HHB motor mount kit so I am pretty sure it will work. Will early model XS650 front-ends bolt up with no problem? I've sent an email to HHB to see if the PMA will work on the XS-2.

also hard_y_rd, i'll take that top tree nut. i'll send a PM

650Skull thanks. I am gonna search for other 34mm front-ends. Another member has a steering nut so if I can get the trees together, I'll go that route. Asked Hugh handbuilt earlier today and he thinks 73-75 will bolt up, just have to double check.

969d0e6a27427cdf16467c8b8acf6cc2.jpg

OK am I missing a top motor mount on the frame? The motor has a spot for one but none here.

Hi whiskey,
yes you are.
There's 3 list opinions about if you need one:-
Yes, No and Perhaps.
I say they'd never put anything on there at the factory unless it was absolutely necessary but WTF, I'd say that about rear suspension, too.
The stock top motor mount is a 4-part ugly thing, there are aftermarket top mounts that are far more aesthetic but if you want to install either you'll have to weld something onto the frame to bolt it to.
Good luck with the build.

Thanks fredintoon I can weld so it's not that big of a deal to put a new one in. I kinda feel that the motor mounts from factory should always be there. I also won't run without front brakes but what ever. I'll check Mike's and see what he has to offer

Post #12; Thats a Hard-tail

Hi Skull,
yup, just like it sez in post#1.
The photo in post#12 also shows the frame modification that removed the top mount bracket mounting holes which explains the question in post #13.
BTW, I seem to remember that the stock top mount also mounted the points ignition's capacitors, it for sure had an engine to frame grounding wire.
Provision for those things has to be made in some fashion even if the top mount is omitted.

Not interested in your analogies Fred. IF YOU had REAd MY interaction with the PO you would understand where i was coming from and not need to rack up your post count with unwanted posts..........Save your comments for other members

Hi Skull,
I've only just noticed this, and perhaps you too were unaware, that while the posts we see on the list are the latest versions; the posts we get via e-mail are the original un-edited ones.
So I know what you first posted and then edited out and the same to you, sir.

Yea........I "posted Piss off Fred" instead of "save your comments for other members". Thought i should show some decorum but now that you have mentioned it i posted it. You always address/interfere with other posters posts instead of continuing YOUR conversation with the OP, Its rude and annoying. I will remove all posts to this thread and you can continue with the information i was helping the OP with.

BY BY

Back