New member on board

retiredgentleman

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hello to everyone in the group here. Hope that you're all having a happy newyear.................you have recovered from that newyear's eve party haven't you?

I used to spent time over at 650rider and also drop in at the 650garage on occasion. I've met some really great people on those sites, and I see that quite a few of them are members on this site as well :thumbsup:.

Yes, I'm infected by the same disease that you guys have..............I just love riding and working on these XS650's.

I had a couple of Yamaha bikes back in the 70's and 80's over a 15 year period. About 18 years went by until 2007, when I bought a 1978SE XS650. It was an unmolested surviver, but needed some work. I drove it for a couple of summers and then did a top end re-build last winter. These are real fun bikes and not difficult to work on.

I'll try to post a picture of my bike here..............not sure if I know how to do it, but lets see if it works.

Attachments

• 1009 mod 2.JPG
    1009 mod 2.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 276
Hey bud, that ride looks pretty good... welcome to the site.

I am heading to the "Hat", shortly, to pick up a 1978 as well..from all the pictures I have received it looks premium, as does yours...there must a have been a few XS's hidden for many years in Alberta, just waiting for their day to return to the road.:)

Our paths may cross, all the best...Happy New Year

Last edited:
- very tidy
- may the chinook treat you well this winter - seen some beautiful sunsets and cloud formations out your way

G'day retiredgent, great to see you here! Pretty good crew here......Good tech section & good in the way it evolves. I'm sure you'll have a couple of good pieces for it! Cheers

Hi RG!!

I'm so glad to see you here! This is beginning to be like old home week, only without the yelling and silliness.

I hope you like it here as much as I do!

Barb

Welcome to XS650.com! I see you figured out how to post pictures with no problems. There are a lot of useful tips on how the forum works in the Forum News and Info section on things like posting pictures, embedding youtube videos, how to subscribe to threads, etc...

Thanks for the welcome wagon guys.

Backroader, I think the 78 special is a good model.............I did toss the buckhorn bars first thing. A 78 standard is a sharp looking model too! Let us know how you make out with the 78.

Its good to chat with you Barb and yamaman...............amazing how we keep bumping into each other. There must be a common thyme here :bike:.................or maybe the internet isn't really as big as they say:).

Hey Retiredgentleman, What handle bars did you go with...I too plan on changing out the "wannabee" chopper bars that were styling during the day...the standard look is more in line with the "baby boomer" needs.

Will be picking up my ride in three weeks...can't wait

Welcome, I have read many of your posts on other sites and am so glad to see you over here. Its great to have such a knowledgeable addition to the site. Im sure I will be bugging you lots so thanks in advance.

Backroader, I use the GS E type # 25-0125 that mikesxs sells. They are very similar to the bars that I had on my XS500C back in the "stone age" of the 70's and 80's.

nj1639, the analog vm is a fine addition to these bikes. The location between gauges is perfect.

HiGuys,

NJ, is that voltmeter waterproof? I had a different one on my XS and in the first hard rain it went south.....and we do get the occasional rain here in the Pacific Northwest...:laugh:

That's a nice looking unit, and if it's waterproof, I want to get one!

Sorry for the mini-hijack, RG...but then, I bet you are getting used to that by now, huh? :thumbsup:

Barb

Put this little LED voltmeter on my XS after some weird problems that turned out to be just a badly charged battery. Seems to be holding up ok to the weather so far :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Voltmeter1.jpg
    Voltmeter1.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 235
  • Voltmeter2.jpg
    Voltmeter2.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Voltmeter3.jpg
    Voltmeter3.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 249
Back