Doug79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have been building rods and customs for the last 25 years [strictly a hobbyist] and decided after the one just completed that I didn't have the energy to do another car but since I have also been involved with motorcycles most of my life, I thought it might be fun to try restoring one. Way back in the 60's I worked in a Triumph shop in Seattle so I thought about one of those until I remembered the whole Whitworth thing so I decided to keep looking. Glad I did because I came across my first real barn find. It's a 1979 XS-Special 650 that was parked in 1985 with 11,000 orig. miles. The title was long lost but we know the guy who parked it and he has no interest in getting it back. So I will have to apply for a new title which takes awhile in Washington but not a huge problem. Kind of anxious to start on it but have to get a baseball spring training trip out of the way then I think I will see if I can get it running and see how many of the systems work. I won't be surprised if everything works. After that I plan a complete disassembly to a powder coated frame and a buildup using all of the upgraded chassis and suspension parts. I have a shop manual coming but I am fairly sure I will have questions that I hope to find answers to on this site.

ttwp.gif

Welcome in and feel free to do a build up thread or at least throw us a fish in the what did you do to your XS today? thread.

Thanks Gary I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate this site. sounds like the "what did you do to your SX today thread" is the place for me however, I haven't been able to find it. Any suggestions?

Found it, is there a quick way to get there other than searching thru the threads in the garage. I belong to the 1957 Fords forever site and they have project builds section which is strictly for cars that are being built or restored. It makes it easy to follow any or all builds that are in progress.

Not suppose to work on mine until we get back from vacation. But my wife is gone today so how would she know if I snuck my spare parts box out and went through it to see what I have. will need to post the dog at the garage door, he'll let me know in plenty of time to ditch the box

Not suppose to work on mine until we get back from vacation. But my wife is gone today so how would she know if I snuck my spare parts box out and went through it to see what I have. will need to post the dog at the garage door, he'll let me know in plenty of time to ditch the box

love it!

I'm begging the forum boss to make that thread a sticky. Oops turns out I know a guy... Done!

Back