Thanks for the heads up on the forks and checking the years.

My plan is to set up some shelves today, and start unpacking the plastic bins, cleaning up the parts as I do this, and separating what I can identify for each bike. Then for the next step I will set up two tables and start to do initial assembly to see what I have, and what is missing or needs repair. One motor is a fresh rebuild, and one has the jugs off. I don't have a deadline, so I really don't care if this takes a month, or a year.

Good luck with the build. Sounds like you have some interesting times ahead. Make sure you start a separate build thread to keep the curious folks entertained during this lockdown (Ontario folks). Attached my build thread below if interested.

Also, if you are looking at getting any parts vapor blasted let me know. Built my own unit to make it easier and cheaper than going to a shop. Since you are just down the road may come in handy if needed. Just let me know.

Joe

Project Canuck- 84 XS650 Project Build | Yamaha XS650 Forum

Looks like this is the site for me. Thanks for the warm welcome.
The one bike is a 74, and the other is a 78 650 Special. I will get some pics of the bikes together and post them. That is obviously a requirement....:)

Hi Scout and welcome,
like Skull sez, a '74 that's really a late-build '73 is a slightly different critter but the only difference between a '74 Standard
and a '78 Special that won't let you turn either into t'other by part-swapping is their different rear shock angles.
IMHO stay with the stock points ignition.
Those who advocate swapping to PMA ignition tend to be selling those systems or wishing for others to join in their troubles.

The fun journey begins. Welcome! Need parts? No worries. They're on here somewhere. I don't have a lot of parts left. I'm not trying to make a living off this hobby. It's already paid for itself. If you need anything, who knows, I might have it. Send me a PM. Yes, I like pictures too.

Photos ! There was a Yamaha dealer in Wisconsin (closed last year) they use to host a swap meet and used bike sell. I was yak'n with the owner and he told me in 1978 when the Xs Special came out... he couldn't get enough of them. When through two tractor trailer shipments.

Wlecome to our little slice of the XS650 life.
If you look on the steering necks you will find a number stamped into the neck as well as the vin on the white sticker. If no sticker not to much to worry about there. At least till you get one road reay. Some places except the frame number as a vin, others want the long version from the sticker. This frame number matched the engine number when they left the factory. These numbers are what you need for collecting parts.
Your complete engine will fit into eithe frame. Putting it in the frame with the matching numbers is just a bit of a plus.
Once you get a manual you can use it to determine how worn the parts are in the unassembled engine. Once you get that figured out the rebuild process isn't hard.
As far as parts go the 78 has a few more electrical parts than the 74. In 78 they had the standards and the Soecials. The standards used a single fuse. the Specials used the 4 fuse box.
When you get that far we will be glad to help sort things out.
When you find something you can't ID, a pic or two on here will get you an ID.
Leo

Back