New non XS650 project! Harley Evo Custom

BigJimmyW13

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys I just picked up a neglected 2001 Harley Evo custom hardtail! Might have done this in haste, but I kind of need the project now since the previous one is winding down. Let me know what you think good or bad!

Last edited:
I say good! Depending how good of a deal you got on it. What are your plans for it?

Well in 2001 when the guy built it (I have receipts) he spent over 19,000 on it. It has 1500 miles on it. It has quite a bit of surface rust, but since I'm gutting it anyway that didn't concern me THAT much. It's b/c the guy broke his back and it sat almost untouched for 4 years. I'm surprised it doesn't have more rust on it. It runs, not pefectly, but it runs. He was asking $5500 for it, but I offered him $3,500 hoping I could pick it up for $4k max. His response was he'd take $4k for it and I said ok.... :-D Like I said maybe it was done in haste, but thought I'd throw it out there for ya'll to see.

It's got a dual carb set up with dellortos, 1340cc with Jim's 5into4 tranny, Revera stage 2, paughco hardtail frame, wideglide front end. I think if I were to part it out I could make more than I bought it for right?

Plans: move the frontbrake to the rear, remove the front fender,
replace the tank with something smaller, the seat with a solo, handlebars with hidden wired apes along with slamming the front end down.

So I talked to a local mechanic today about doing some engine investigation on the bike and after describing the bike... He knew the exact bike I was talking about. He knew the previous owner. He said that I basically bought a light drag bike. He said most of the bike has been done over in race and performance parts.

haha that is weird. I was posting them at the same time though. interesting :confused:

You know Travis... You and me both... :-D First things first. I gotta get some guidance so I'm going to get an experience mechanic to go over the engine and figure out why it's not running perfect. I mean I already knew that it doesn't run well. So it's not like that was a shocker to me.
This will undoubtedly be a challenge though.

So I'm really stuck on whether to detune this thing or try and get it going strong again as is.... I have mixed feelings. Also if I choose to go the route of leaving it as is (engine wise). No one is really interested in working on it. So that worries me if I run into a jam I can't really take it to a shop and get it worked through. On the other hand I like the idea of being able to spank a streetbike off the line. However, on that same note.... I have a feeling I wouldn't be wise enough to be restrictive with it and probably end up doing something VERY stupid. So I don't know.

Alright update on what I've done so far. I switched out the plugs and whenever I drained the gas tank it had about 3+ gallons of brown gas in it. Got most of it out and looked in sure enough there was gunk and crud and rust everywhere. So I'm probably going to flush the tank and sell it. Not sure what it's replacement will be, but of course there's always the sportster, then there's a wassel or maybe a mini mustang. Not sure just yet. PICS included!!

The apple juice jug is the last bit of the bad gas. I kept it out there for whenever I was taking off the tank to get any still in the tanks. The "new" gas tank and seat are left over from my xs650 build. Put them on there to just get an idea of what it would look like.

I am still set on lowering the front end and putting some apes on it, but as for exactly everything else I'm not totally positive just yet. Feel free to throw ideas or inspirations towards me!

Dude, that last pic looks sweet, I would run that sporty tank and your solo seat and just rock it like that. Then when you pull up to the stop sign and the guy next to you thinks its an old beater harley, you can blow his a$% off the line. Sweet find too

Hahah this is true. Didn't really think about it that way. Man, if I thought the carbs on the xs650 are gonna be a bitch, these are really gonna be a bitch. I do pan on putting a short rear fender on it and a "do rag" for the front fender. Also I really want an open primary, but those are just so damned expensive. And the kicker conversion goes right along with that. So those will just have to wait. I also want to move from forward controls to mid controls. Or maybe just mid pegs at least to stand on whenever going over bumps. Anyone know where I can get a new set of 40mm Dellortos? PHM40 I think they are.

Thanks btw bigpup! Unfortunately the PO had his rats nest under the tank. So I have to figure out what all he has there, where it's going and where it's going to go.

Back